While visiting Australia's beaches, John wanted something to help carry his stuff in.
When he asked the female clerk at a seaside gift shop to see a fanny pack the manager threw him out of the store.
To see the answer, click here.
Therefore it is important that if you have someone visiting Australia on company business, or traveling here, that you do not tell them to have a fanny pack handy for carrying things on a plane.
Knowing the various cultures in the American workplace today can help us increase harmony, productivity and quality. The reason is quite simple. Cultural differences, when not understood, lead to miscommunication, ill feelings among employees and/or management and workplace conflict.
But once we understand the value that each person brings to the workplace by the beauty of thinking differently we begin to increase the contribution and value of each employee individually and of the workforce in whole. Improvement in communication occurs as we understand that putting something on the table prioritizes it in one culture but removes all priorities in another or that a basement could be a cellar or a bathroom.
This is part of a series focusing on marketing mistakes designed to challenge marketing professionals to carefully think through their marketing campaigns. It is used by permission from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based business and talent development website filled with complimentary information.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Diversity by the numbers
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- 35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- 50 Activities for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
Other articles and white papers of interest: