If there's one thing that you should learn from reading this column, it's that there is always more to learn! No matter how many symposiums, conferences, or seminars you might attend regarding HOA life, there is always one more out there that might just contain that little tidbit hat applies perfectly to your association.
Attorneys from leading Florida community association law firm Kaye Bender Rembaum will host a series of Free Certification Courses for community association board members:
· Courses for condominium board members will be held on Tuesday, November 12th and Monday, December 2nd.
· Courses for homeowner association board members, which satisfy a new certification requirement for homeowner association board members established during the 2013 Legislative Session, will be held on Tuesday, October 29th, Monday, November 25th and Tuesday, December 17th.
For Licensed Community Association Managers desiring to attend, these courses will offer two IFM or Elective Manager Credits. The provider number for both courses is 0005092.The course number for condominium board members is 9626451 and the course number for homeowner association board members is 9626884.
All courses will be held at the Firm’s office in Pompano Beach, 1200 Park Central Blvd. South, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Space is limited and reservations are required. Interested attendees should contact Odalis Milanies or call 954-928-0680.
The Firm will also be hosting a series of free town hall forum seminars for community association board members and property managers to discuss and explain new laws recently passed by the state legislature directly affecting community associations. Seminars will be held on:
· Wednesday, November 20th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center;
· Wednesday, December 11th from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Emma Lou Olson Civic Center in Pompano Beach;
· Wednesday, January 15th from 6:45 to 8:45 p.m. at ArtServe in Fort Lauderdale;
· Tuesday, February 18th from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the South County Civic Center in Delray Beach;
· Wednesday, February 19th from 6:45 to 8:45 p.m. at the Herb Skolnick Community Center in Pompano Beach;
· Wednesday, March 5th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Fred Lippmann Multi-purpose Center in Hollywood;
· and Wednesday, March 12th from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Deerfield Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Interested attendees should RSVP and specify which seminar to KayeBenderSeminar@piersongrant.com or call 954-776-1999, ext. 255.
In addition to these courses, you might also want to check out the South Florida HOA Expo on December 4. This event, which features officials from Association Services of Florida, an Associa company, as well as other experts, offers an unparalleled opportunity to make valuable connections and speak directly with local and national experts about the topics that are relevant to homeowners and board members. Attendees can get legal insights, financial advice, communications tips, proactive management solutions and much more from some of the region’s top professionals.
Joanne Willoughby, ASF president and CEO; James Gonzalez, director of business development; and Marc Rodriguez, assistant director of management services, will participate in a panel discussion on financial security. The three executives will address the importance of financial sustainability and how board members can ensure the financial success of their community association.
“Our goal is to make sure that attendees leave with a thorough understanding of association budgets and finances,” Willoughby said. “Regardless if in a condominium association or HOA, every board member should have the tools to operate a financially sustainable community.”
ASF will also be an exhibitor at the expo events. The company will have an FAQ booth on site to answer industry questions one-on-one and will share their specialized knowledge and experience to give you relevant information that can be put to practical use.
To register for the event so you can attend the ASF presentation, click the corresponding link below:
- The Cooperator Florida Condo & HOA Expo at the Broward County Convention Center, December 4, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. REGISTER
Be sure to subscribe to this column, and stay abreast of issues involving you, the homeowners of Palm Beach County! If you've had any issues with your HOA that you'd like me to try and delve into, and possibly write about later, please let me know. Also, be sure to follow me on twitter, and read my articles about elections, local getaways, motorsports, and restaurants.