There are two predominant workplace cultures in America today, contemporary management and traditional management. At the same time there are three types of management styles in America today. In addition to traditional managers and contemporary managers there is a third group called blended managers. The two styles workplace culture radically different and if there is a mismatch between the workplace culture and the management style employee morale, retention, productivity and quality will suffer.
Although blended managers will be comfortable, for the most part, in either workplace culture a contemporary manager will struggle untraditional workplace culture and a traditional manager will experience great stress in a contemporary workplace culture.
To determine which management style you use answer these five true or false questions:
- You need to handle the important policy or procedure changes.
- When an employee has a problem, you need to solve it.
- You chair all meetings with your team.
- When there is a serious problem with a customer you need to approve the resolution.
- Team members should problem solved on their own but need to consult you before implementation.
After you’ve answered the five true or false questions click here to go to, “Grading Your Management Style”.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Resources for creating a winning workplace culture:
- Cultural roadmap, a look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Max Impact offers free leadership training and development materials including Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- Books about workplace cultures.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings.