Leaky gut syndrome is a common problem in children with ADD/ADHD, tourettes, autism, and other autoimmune disorders. It is defined as damage to the cells that protect the digestive tract making it less able to filter needed nutrients and other biological substances.
When leaky gut syndrome is present bacteria and their toxins, incompletely digested proteins and fats, and waste not normally absorbed “leaks” out of the intestines into the blood stream. The body treats these as foreign substances, which causes inflammation, immune system issues, and food sensitivities.
When a person has a leaky gut neurological conditions can be further aggravated and the brain inhibited from functioning optimally. In other words, digestive system function is inter-related with brain function. Improving digestive system health can help our brains function optimally.
There are tests for leaky gut syndrome and food sensitivity you can ask your doctor about. Many are not covered under insurance and doctors do not routinely conduct them. If you suspect leaky gut, here are 5 simple, natural things you can do.
1) Take a daily Probiotic Supplement to promote good digestion, facilitate absorption of nutrients, boost the immune system, and help prevent an overgrowth of more harmful organisms in the digestive tract. Read the label--to make sure the product contains live cultures and check with your doctor for the optimal dosage.
2) Try an elimination diet to test for food sensitivities – gluten, dairy, yeast, corn, soy and eggs are the most common foods that cause problems. Eliminate one at a time for a week or two take note of how your gut feels and what happens to your other symptoms. Note that The foods you crave are usually the ones you are sensitive to.
3) Eat alkaline, fiber, and mineral rich foods such as: leafy greens (kale, lettuce), fruits (apple, berries, tomatoes, lemons), seeds and nuts (almonds, walnuts), and beans.
4) Take extra omega 3 fat supplements, which help cool inflammation in the gut.
5) Add multivitamin and Vitamin B12 supplement to restore deficiencies caused by the leaky gut. Good gut flora is important for synthesizing B Vitamins, which are crucial for a healthy metabolism, growth, calcium absorption, nervous system and more. Many children with ADD/ADHD are deficient in B vitamins
For further information about leaky gut, ADHD and children’s health please contact email@example.com . Maria Tormos and Rebecca Hayward are based in Westport, CT. and have developed the Hayward-Tormos method to naturally treat add/adhd. They have studied Eastern/Western health and nutrition theories with some of the best-known nutrition experts.
Discount pricing on quality probiotics, vitamins, and supplements with this code:
Essential Naturals are formulated and manufactured by local naturopath Dr. Michael Gazsi.