The third myth to debunk is the belief that leaders are charismatic individuals. As with any myth it is nothing more than a falsehood that seems to have at least some supporting evidence.
In the case of this myth it is propagated by the common recollection people have of great leaders of the past. Even opponents of presidents John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton admit they were charismatic leaders. They were great communicators that knew how to rally supporters.
Ronald Reagan was another great leader that was instrumental in tearing down the walls and curtains of the cold war. Although a popular leader he was not quite as charismatic as Kennedy and Clinton in the eyes of most people.
And there is Winston Churchill. He led Great Britain to victory in World War II by using great leadership skills. He built great alliance, made difficult decisions and ran strategic battles. Even though he was a great leader by anyone’s standard he was not charismatic in any sense of the word. Churchill actually had a speech impediment to which his lack of an outgoing character can be attributed. Nonetheless when the British need an outstanding leader Churchill stepped up.
Company leaders are much the same. They may or may not be charismatic but the do know how to rally a team to success.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.
Additional resources about cultures
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.