There are many myths about leadership that can cause people to question their ability to be a leader. This series looks at the top four myths.
The first myth we will examine is the myth that leadership is a rare skill. It is, in fact, rather common. Every person has innate leadership skills but unfortunately they fall into a state of denying their leadership talent. Often it is because they believe that leadership is akin to position.
Certainly the head of a department in the workplace is in a position of leadership. But leadership is not a positional attribute. In reality many heads of departments fail to use their leadership skills leaving their subordinates wondering how they ever rose to such a high position.
In the book “Life's leadership Lessons” chapter one tells the story of Maria. She was an entry level cleaning lady that demonstrated leadership everyday she was on the job. She listened to her coworkers and acted on what she learned, showed empathy toward all employees regardless of their station, encouraged others and remained positive no matter what the day brought.
Maria is not a rare or unique individual. She only uses the leadership talents she has learned over the years to help build a better workplace culture.
Leadership is not a rare skill. The rarity in only in how each person uses their own talents.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.
Additional resources about cultures
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.