See also:

Latest AVG update crashes computers

In a rude awakening today, some 64 bit Windows 7 users who utilize AVG anti-virus experienced a blue screen of death (BSoD) today after a required reboot.

AVG has acknowledged the issue and has pulled the offending update from its site, however for those who have already suffered damage a non-standard fix may be required.

Firstly, if you have not installed the update 3292 yet, you should be safe as it has been pulled.

If you have installed the update, but not yet rebooted, then manually delete avgrs[x|a].exe and avgchsv[x|a].exe file from your computer.

Selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" or system restore options my not fix this issue. Instead, AVG advises users that have experienced a BSoD to use AVG's Rescue CD which can be found in this link. Once the system has launched with the CD, select Utilities and then File Manager. Next you have to get to the drive, usually this is /mnt/sda1/. Now you need to get to the right system folder, so navigate to Windows/system32/drivers/. Now you can banish AVG files from your computer by renaming them. AVG believes that in this case, all you need to do is rename avgrs*.exe and avgchsv*.exe but if you are really worried you can find all files starting with avg (e.g. avgldx86.sys, avgtdix.sys, etc.) and change the extension from .sys to .bak. Now you can remove the Rescue CD and reboot your computer by pressing ctrl+alt+delete.

When queried as to why this happened, AVG tech support replied that improperly published AVG CTF files were to blame.

Sources: CNET forums and AVG forums

Comments

• AJ_B 3 years ago

Ruined my last night, morning, and day.

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Anytime I update a PC and reboot, I always cringe a bit.

• AMT 3 years ago

My version says 426/3293 - did they release a fixed update? Am I safe to reboot?

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Yes, you should be as release 3292 was the problem child and subsequently pulled. However, just to be safe just make sure your backups are in order before rebooting. Most people are able to recover from this error using the steps above, but extra peace of mind never hurt anyone.

• AJ_B 3 years ago

In addition to renaming the .sys files in the drivers folder, I also renamed the AVG application folder just to be sure.

System's back up and running. Now to decide on whether or not to continue using AVG or switch.

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Well, let me give you my perspective. I am using AVG to cover about 500 machines and have been using AVG on a wide scale for about four years now. Over the last year, I found AVG to be really ill equipped to handle the kind of malware that was popping up on Facebook and infected advertising networks. I was constantly having to use Malwarebytes and other products to clean up the mess. The new 2011 AVG has impressed me and I have noticed a performance enhancement on some slower machines when I upgraded from 9.x. I was also unhappy that AVG did not have US technical support, but they have now remedied that. There have been a couple of occasions where AVG updates caused my systems to BSoD over the years. Usually, it has only been a handful of systems, but it is frustrating. There are certainly a lot of competitors out there, I had pretty good luck with Avira. I use Symantec in some locations with decent results. We also use ESET, but I don't believe they have a consumer product. Others swear by Trend. Best of luck!

• Paul 3 years ago

AVG's solution didn't work for me, but something else did.

I booted my Win 7 DVD, went into Repair, Load Drivers, found the AVG folder in Program Files, and deleted the whole lot of them.

Worked like a charm. Now I've got Avast.

Yeah, it was a hell of a morning. Thanks, AVG.

www.paul-kirsch.com

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Thanks for the info. Avast is another good one. Lots of choices out there.

• David 3 years ago

This happened to my laptop when AVG rebooted it today. Fortunately I had enough technical knowledge to boot into a DOS prompt in windows recovery so that I could rename the AVG executables. A less knowledgeable user would be in trouble right now. I've been using AVG for about 3 years without much trouble but this incident was serious. Straight after I'd fixed my laptop I uninstalled it and switched to Avira instead.

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

A good example is someone who doesn't have a second PC and suddenly is stuck with a rebooting machine that cannot help them find the answers. My only issue with Avira is the daily advert in the free version got a bit old.

Bad things can happen to any software maker. Anybody remember the VMWare "licenses expire on patched machines" debacle back in 2008?

• Nate 3 years ago

I was able to get back into windows after running the start-up recovery. It said it did't do anything and asked to do a system restore. After churning for a good 20 mins it finally told me again that it couldn't fix anything. After that windows booted with no problems. I'm also tempted to try something other than AVG.

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

This is a pretty rare occurrence. Hopefully AVG has put some more safeguards in place. But if you are really set on it, you can try Avira or Avast and see if one of those works for you.

• John 3 years ago

Mine won't boot into anthing otherthan the AVG recovery programme. Following the advice, I still get the sameproblem. I guess I could do a new install on one of m spare drives and then save my files from C: and then reformat it?

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Woah there John,

Something very odd is going on here. If you have renamed all those AVG files, then this should eliminate AVG from the equation. I would hold off on the new install if you can call AVG support line at 1-877-367-9933.

• AVG Technologies 3 years ago

To address some of the concerns here, first, we’re very sorry for the inconvenience. Over the past 24 hours, AVG has had two update issues. The problems affected Windows 7 users on 64-bit products. As soon as we were first notified about these issues, we immediately began fixing the problems. AVG is taking swift action on this matter. We remain committed to our customers, and, as such, we are taking the following actions:

1-Updates have been issued for both of these issues and are currently being propagated to the broad AVG user base.
    2-For the next 48 hours, we are offering free technical support to our entire user base; anyone who has been affected by either of these issues.

PAID CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
    If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4079 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following numbers:
    1-Home and Free customers: 24/7 support +1-877-367-9933
    2-Business customers: 9:30am-6:30pm EST +1-828-459-5436 or skype:avg-nc
    You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com

FREE CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
    1-If you have encountered the abovementioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4080 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following number:
    2-24/7 support: +1-877-367-9933
    You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Thanks for posting this info. Seems like a pretty fair deal to be offering telephone support for free customers (in addition to the paid customers of course). Hopefully this is a "teachable moment" and AVG will have new safeguards in place.

• jdbuzz 3 years ago

"see your mainboard´s manual or contact the manufacturer of the computer)."

This is the work around if you can't boot it from USB..

What a bunch of clowns. After many years, it looks like me 'n AVG or going our separate ways....

• darin 3 years ago

I have been using AVG free for several years and was never aware of any issues. The nature of this problem is so uniquely catastrophic in my experience that I am sincerely baffled by anyone (other than an employee of AVG or a relative of same) who does not immediately uninstall AVG from every machine under his/her control.

• Profile picture of Michael Sheena
    Michael Sheena 3 years ago

Well Darin,

Here are my two cents. As I mentioned above, I am running AVG on about 500 machines. Given the situation where only machines running Win 7 on 64 bit were affected, I only had a small population of my machines go BSoD. Was I frustrated? Yes, but we were able to fix them. Now if hundreds of my machines had been impacted, I might not be so charitable right now. I'm locked into my license until mid-year 2011. Should more incidents occur, there is no doubt that I'll be motivated to move. As it is, we have several other packages that we are considering when it comes time to renegotiate our 2 year deal.

In the end, it is up to every person. If you feel burned and want to go somewhere else, I don't blame you. But these hiccups can happen. I've been "patched" into trouble by Windows updates, Java updates, VMWare updates and countless others. AVG owned up quickly and most people are getting their systems back in order without data loss.

• tech07 3 years ago

I am really disappointed in AVG for this blunder.

Bad enough that Version 2011 required an unprecedented 1.2gb to install when it only requires 100MB to run...... now this inexcusable Blunder may cause many User to look elsewhere for their Virus Protect..... 2 laptops and one Desktop got hammered.. wasted my whole day.. and they were XP OS so not just the 64 Bit versions got hit.

Heads should roll for this Blunder.. I just believe they would release an untested update.

Just got avg 2013 on my hp elite book for windows 8 and it CRASHED!!!!!..... G...THANX AVG... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SPEND MY SAT DOING.....%?£%€^?£<%?€,~,>€~