A busy week for the Cardinals system; the Major League team led the way with a series of promotions, a DL move, and 2 sent down. Robert Stock has another hiccup in his career, a top prospect is moves up to Springfield, and the April hitter of the month comes off the DL. There are also a few updates from the Cardinals off the field – ticket sales and a Cardinal Care event.
- No roster changes.
- Palm Beach (Hi A) demoted RHP Robert Stock to State College (SS A).
- Peoria (Lo A) promoted RHP Kyle Barraclough to Palm Beach (Hi A).
- Extended Spring Training promoted LHP Steve Sabatino to Peoria (Lo A).
Stock continues to be a bust for the organization; the USC draftee originally tried to stick as catcher, but his lack of offense moved him to the mound. The Cardinals always envisioned Stock as a power reliever, but his command issues have limited his potential.
- St. Louis (MLB) placed LHP Tyler Lyons on the 15-day DL.
- St. Louis (MLB) demoted RHP Eric Fornataro to Memphis (AAA).
- Memphis (AAA) promoted LHP Sam Freeman to St. Louis (MLB).
- Memphis (AAA) promoted RHP Jorge Rondon to St. Louis (MLB).
- Springfield (AA) placed RHP Ronnie Shaban to the 7-day DL.
Lyons pitched through a left shoulder strain last Monday; the pitcher said he felt it after the second inning but didn’t say anything to his coaches. His rotation spot was filled this past Sunday by lefty Jaime Garica, who made his season debut.
- St. Louis (MLB) demoted SS Greg Garcia to Memphis (AAA).
- Memphis (AAA) promoted 2B Kolten Wong to St. Louis (MLB).
- Memphis (AAA) placed RHP Keith Butler on the 7-day DL.
Wong tore up Triple A during his 15-day demotion, but would have missed his first game back up with a stomach illness if not for the rain. Since his call up, he’s hitting XXX/xxx/xxx.
- Springfield (AA) promoted RHP Dean Kiekhefer to Memphis (AAA).
- Palm Beach (Hi A) promoted LHP Marco Gonzales and RHP Corey Baker to Springfield (AA).
- Peoria (Lo A) promoted RHPs Silfredo Garcia and Chris Thomas to Palm Beach (Hi A).
- Johnson City (R) promoted RHPs Michael Holback and Brandon Lee to Peoria (Hi A).
Gonzales is another college pitcher on the fast track, like Wacha was last year. Gonzales is not Wacha though; his fastball is nowhere near as good and projects as a back of the rotation starter.
- Memphis (AAA) placed RHP Boone Whiting on the 7-day DL.
- Springfield (AA) promoted RHP Justin Wright to Memphis (AAA).
- Springfield (AA) activated 1B Jonathan Rodriguez from the 7-day DL.
- Palm Beach (Hi A) promoted RHP Mitch Harris to Springfield (AA).
- Palm Beach (Hi A) demoted 3B Ronnierd Garcia to Johnson City (R).
- Palm Beach (Hi A) placed OF Anthony Garcia on the 7-day DL.
- Peoria (Lo A) placed 2B Cesar Valera on the 7-day DL.
- State College (SS A) promoted RHP Josh Lucas and OF Luis Perez to Palm Beach (Hi A).
- Johnson City (R) promoted RHP Luis Perdomo to Palm Beach (Hi A).
- Johnson City (R) promoted 2B Richy Pedroza to Peoria (Lo A).
In addition to Jaime Garcia returning to the Cardinals this past Sunday, the team is also going to activate Jason Motte this week. The righty has been rehabbing for the last week in Memphis (AAA) and is at the point where the club will bring him back up; most likely at the expense of Sam Freeman.
Motte should help stabilize the ‘pen, but don’t count on him fixing all of the Cardinals issues. Manager Mike Matheny’s use of the bullpen has been a constant issue over his tenure as manager; the most recent example was Sunday night’s loss to the Braves. Matheny used Trevor Rosenthal on 4 consecutive days, when he could have easily given Saturday’s save opportunity to another pitcher. GM John Mozeliak also has bullpen issues. Since he’s taken over the team, the first half bullpen struggles have been the main concern. He’s added numerous relievers (Edward Mujica, Arthur Rhodes, Octavio Dotel) at the trade deadline.
The Cardinals have announced registration has started for the 25th annual Ted Savage RBI Golf Classic; former Cardinals Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, Whitey Herzog, Alan Benes, Glenn Brummer and more will be playing. All proceeds go to Cardinals Care and the RBI program.
The Cardinals will make $4 tickets available tomorrow at 10 am CST as part of the “Cards Win, You Save” program. The Cardinals went 4-2 (with 1 rainout) over the last homestand; the team had announced that $3 would be deducted with each win the team had over the Cubs and Braves last week (the rain delay count as a win for the promotion).
Maikel Cleto, RHP, Chicago White Sox: Cleto continues to have issues with his command, which has led to him being removed from the White Sox 40-man roster. Cleto will still remain in the organization as a reliever for Triple A Charlotte.
Erik Komatsu, OF, Los Angeles Angels: Former Rule V draftee Komatsu was released by the Nationals last week, but quickly signed with the Angels. Komatsu only played part of a season with the Redbirds before losing him on waivers to the Twins (who ultimately returned him to Washington).
Mike MacDougal, RHP, Seattle Mariners: MacDougal was another player that spent part of a season with the Cardinals; he was one of those bullpen upgrades that Mozeliak needed to make. He started the season with Camden of the Atlantic League, but signed last week with the Mariners. He’ll be Triple A depth.
Adron Chambers (OF, Houston Astros) and Matt Pagnozzi (C, Milwaukee Brewers) both returned from their Triple A disabled lists.