This weekend as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr, the first federal holiday celebrating the life of a private citizen, Cincinnati is gearing up for a celebration in ice.
In 2000, Ohio's governor declared and formally recognized Hamilton as 'The City of Sculpture'. Saturday, January 19, 2013, citizens will celebrate another event the bi-annual Ice Fest on Martin Luther King Boulevard in downtown Hamilton.
This year's theme is ‘Landmarks of the World' and as the city turns to ice they will depict famous places from around the globe. The outdoor ice sculpture show is the main attraction but many other events are happening making it a lot more fun for families and friends.
Visitors can enjoy a variety of events from live ice carving to dogsled races. There’s a fire and ice gala schedule, children's putt-putt golf, and story time. Several local and international carvers are available to show you how to carve sculptures in ice.
All Day – Amateur Photo Contest, Children’s Throne photo-op where they can get their photos taken on ice, there are Ice Sculptures’ along High Street from Front street to Martin Luther King Blvd.
- 10 am – 4 pm Children’s Area Activities
- 10 am – 2 pm Heritage Hall Open
- 11 am Storytime by Lane Libraries @ Children’s Area
- 10 am-2 pm Ice Carving Competition on Second St.
- 10 am-2 pm People’s Choice Award Voting
- 10 am-2 pm Best of Show Award Voting
- 10 am-4 pm ArtFest by Art on Symmes/Art Off Symmes in Government Service Center
- 10 am-4 pm BookFest at Ryan’s Tavern
- 11 am,1pm, and 3pm Writers Workshops @ BookFest
- 12 noon Soap Carving Competition Awards at Gazebo
- 12 – 4 pm Magical History Tour – Bus pick-up @Robinson
- Schwenn Building
- 1 pm Speed Carving Demonstration
- 2 pm Dog Sled Race on Court Street
- 5 pm Awards Ceremony at Courtyard by Marriott
- 5 pm People’s Choice Award at Courtyard by Marriott
- Sunset Technicolor Ice Walk
Video: Hamilton Ice Festival
©Annette Palmer, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please do not reproduce this article without written permission from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC, DBA Examiner.com.
The author receives no compensation for recommendations or reviews and is not responsible for any effects that may occur.