The Lambda Literary Award finalists, for books published in 2011, have been chosen. The contenders for each competitive award have been narrowed down to a maximum of five finalists in each of the 22 categories. Below are the finalists (in alphabetical order) for both of the bisexual book categories:
- Boyfriends With Girlfriends, by Alex Sanchez, Simon & Schuster
- The Correspondence Artist, by Barbara Browning, Two Dollar Radio
- Have You Seen Me, by Katherine Scott Nelson, Chicago Center for Literature and Photography
- Triptych, by J.M. Frey, Dragon Moon Press
- The Two Krishnas, by Ghalib Shiraz Dhalla, Magnus Books
- Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir, by Susie Bright, Seal Press
- Bisexuality and Queer Theory: Intersections, Connections and Challenges, edited by Jonathan Alexander & Serena Anderlini-D'Onofrio, Routledge
- The Horizontal Poet, by Jan Steckel, Zeitgeist Press
- Sovereign Erotics: A Collection of Two-Spirit Literature, edited by Qwo-Li Driskill, Daniel Heath Justice, Deborah Miranda, and Lisa Tatonetti, University of Arizona Press
- Surviving Steven: A True Story, by Ven Rey, Ven Rey
Being named a Lammy finalist is pretty exciting. I spoke to The Horizontal Poet author Jan Steckel today, who said she was "jumping up and down" (a mean trick for someone in a wheelchair) and Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir author and sexpert Susie Bright enthused, "Yippee Skippee!"
Several bi-themed books also made finalist lists in other categories. Gemini Bites and PINK are finalists for the LGBT Children's Young Adult category; The H.D. Book by Robert Duncan made finalist for LGBT Nonfiction; Triptych is a finalist for LGBT Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror; and Have You Seen Me is on the finalist list for Gay Debut Fiction;
Lammy Award finalists are chosen by a panel of four judges, a different panel for each category, who read all the nominated books for that category, and then choose which they feel are the top five. The full list of finalists for all 22 book categories is available on the LLF website.
Winners will be announced at the 24th annual Lambda Literay Awards (Lammy Awards) ceremony on Monday June 4th, 2012, hosted by Lambda Literary Foundation, to be held at the CUNY Graduate Center in NYC. Tickets are on sale now through the LLF website and includes a cocktail reception, the Lammy Awards ceremony and an after-party where you can meet the authors.