Labor Day Weekend is celebrating at the Lake in the Hills Summer Sunset Festival on Labor Day Weekend, Fri.-Sun., Aug. 30-31 and Sept. 1, 2013. Lake in the Hills is in McHenry County, in the far northwestern suburbs of Chicago, Ill. Following is an overview of the festival. Please see the Lake in the Hills Summer Sunset Festival website for additional information.
The popular family oriented community event features carnival rides for kids and adults, live music, crafts, food, beer garden, car show, fireworks and a parade.
The Inaugural Summer Sunset Festival Wine Tasting event premieres on the first night of the festival, on Fri. 5-10:30 p.m.). The Classic & Custom Car Show is also on Fri., running 6-10 p.m.. The Sunset 5K starts at 7 p.m. on Fri.
The Summer Sunset Parade on Sat. (10 a.m.) promotes the mission of the Algonquin/Lake in the Hills Interfaith Food Pantry, the grand marshal of the parade. People will walk with shopping carts and collect food donations from the crowd. Suggested donations are: canned foods, boxed items, beverages, or personal care items
The craft show on Sat. exhibits the works of over 30 exhibitors. On Sun., local businesses are on display in the Business EXPOsure.
The carnival is by Windy City Amusements and features rides like the Zipper, Ferris Wheel, the Airplane, Aladdin, Dragon Wagon, Fun Slide, Gravitron, Himalaya, Moon Walk, Submarine, Tilt-A-Whirl, and more. $20 carnival ride wristband hours are: Fri. 3-7 p.m. and Sat. - Sun. noon-4.
Food from some of the area's finest restaurants include pizza, Chinese specialties, Greek pitas and kabobs, seafood, Mexican tacos and tamales, hot dogs, BBQ pork and chicken, ice cream and more. The beer tent is open all three days of the festival (Fri. 3:30-10:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. noon -10:30 p.m.).
Main Stage Band lineup:
- Fri.: Petty Cash (6:30 - 8 p.m.) and Libido Funk (9-10:30 p.m.).
- Sat.: Subtonium (4-5:30 p.m.), 28 Days (6:30- 8 p.m.) and 7th Heaven (9 -10:30 p.m.)
- Sun.: No Left Turn (6 -7:30 p.m. ) and Modern Day Romeos (8-10 p.m.).
The fireworks grand finale is on Sun. at 9:30 p.m..
Lake in the Hills Summer Sunset Festival is free to attend. The festival is at Sunset Park, on Miller Road at Albrecht Road in Lake In The Hills, Ill. 60156.
- Chicago area fests celebrate Labor Day weekend
- 43rd Annual Septemberfest on Labor Day weekend in Schaumburg
- Buffalo Grove Days festival on Labor Day weekend
- 32nd Taste of Melrose Park food fest on Labor Day weekend
- Taste of Polonia fest in Chicago on Labor Day weekend
- Backwards American Eagle rides at Six Flags offer thrills