1. Arts & Entertainment
  2. Celebrity

Lady Gaga smashes Britney Spears' Billboard record

See also

In a battle of the pop divas, Lady Gaga shattered Britney Spears' four-week-old Billboard record with the number one debut of her new single, "Born This Way." Lady Gaga sold 448,000 digital copies of the song during the first three days of its release, besting Spears to hold the title of biggest debut ever for a female artist.

Lady Gaga's third album is due out May 23rd. She debuted her new single, "Born This Way," at Sunday night's Grammy Awards, arriving in an egg and incubating until she was "born" on stage during her performance.

"It is a tremendous honor," Gaga tells Billboard of the milestone. "To be the 1000th no. 1 on Billboard...I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career."

In other Billboard news, "Glee" beat Elvis Presley's 52-year-old record for most appearances in the Hot 100. Their rendition of Katy Perry's "Firework" was the highest debut for the "Glee" cast this week.

Spears sold 411,000 copies of her new single "Hold It Against Me," setting the record just a few weeks ago for the largest debut for a female artist. Spears' much anticipated new video for "Hold It Against Me" is set to debut world-wide February 17th. The video will premiere on MTV at 9:55 p.m. ET.

Comments

• damian 3 years ago

omg yesss i love gaga !!! 4 ever little monster to the end GAGA GAGA GAGAG GAGAG GAGAGAGAGGAGAGA I LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH I HOPE TO MEET YOU ONE DAY I LOVED YOU SINCED THE 1ST DAY YOU CAME OUT WHICH WAS IN 2008 LOVE GAGA

• Shane 3 years ago

So the leader of the Children of the Corn likes her. This must be a bad sign.

Wait.. thats not accurate... lady gaga is a man.

Thanks to Lady Gaga, I started listening to my old CD's. Might as well listen to the originals than listening to a copy one.

For all the HATERS that say Gaga is copying Madonna get a f u c k i ng life!!!! Of course she is going to sound similar in some ways... but wait uum lets see what VAGonna is doing... oh thats right NOTHING shes sitting on her old wrinkly a s s watching a newbie erase her from our memories...lololol what a joke..lol and if VaGonna doesnt care and gives her praise why are you still bitching?!

• Mark 3 years ago

I am a lady gaga fan and you just sound like an idiot.

Of course it beat Britney's record......it is a Madonna rip off of "Express Yourself." Everyone loves Madge. I was in the audience at the Grammys when she did her "Egg" thing and let me just say I was not impressed. My whole section just kept talking about how all they heard was "Express Yourself" Its sad but true. Also Madonna did it better. One more thing....she might have beat Britney for most digital copies sold but she did not break the other record Britney made with "Hold It Against Me" and that is that Britney is only one of 2 female artists in over 50 years to debut multiple songs at #1 on Billboards Hot !00 chart. Sho Gaga may have taken this one round with a Madonna rip but in the end it is all about Britney. Lady Gaga is talented...but she has a long way to go before she is in the same leage as Britney. Lets see if Gaga is still around a Decade from now. I am not sure she will be. Could be wrong.

• b 3 years ago

Is this you..........Randy?

• Jesse 3 years ago

All this shows is how much harder Gaga has to work to best Britney. The Grammys, the Madonna rip off, all of the television shows...what did Britney do? One twitterview...yeah a real best seller that Gaga

I usually like Lady Gaga but Born this Way? No way. I exepected a lot more from her I bought the single and deeply regret it. It's a total rip off of Madona. I wonder if she used all of her creativity for her previous albums. And I have to agree with Jesse, Lady Gaga needs non stop hype for her single to do well. Britney could sell her single without doing practically nothing.
    I also have to wonder if Gaga's "little monters" didn't buy more the single more than once just so that Gaga could beat Britney's record. Just saying.

Arts & Entertainment

• Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent concert at Native American casino canceled because of obvious reasons
    Headlines
  • Mila Kunis
    Odd couples: You won't believe some of these celebrity hookups
    Video
    Celebrity Buzz
  • Music festivals
    150 years of major American music festivals are rooted in Rhode Island
    Camera
    17 Photos
  • Billy Corgan
    Billy Corgan receives Vanguard Awards at AMPAs in Cleveland
    Camera
    13 Photos
  • Celebrity tattoos
    We're not sure what some of these celebrities were thinking when they decided to get inked
    Camera