Labor Day weekend for the Triangle begins today, August 29, 2014 and runs through September 1, 2014. Do you have plans for one last beach trip or mountain run, or are you looking for things to do in the Raleigh Durham area for the long Labor Day Weekend? Some people are actually looking forward to just having a lazy and relaxing weekend catching up on their DVR recordings.
Raleigh and Durham, NC have several activities lined up that run the gamut from family friendly museum events to adult beverage bar hopping events. Let’s take a look at some of the events that the Triangle has lined up for Labor Day 2014!
- The Monti Storytelling Series will be at Raleigh Little Theatre Sunday night. The Storytellers recount stories that fit the theme "Bridging Gaps." They have five minutes and do it all without any note cards. If you've never been to a Monti event before, you are in for a treat!
- Durham Bulls game at the DBAP- This is the final weekend of home games this season. Get one last baseball game in before summer ends.
- African American Cultural Festival- Fifth annual celebration will be held in downtown Raleigh. Event is free and is held from 11am – 9pm
If you are having one last summer backyard cookout, have some fun with "food on a stick"
- Oak City Meatball Shoppe- Friday 11:30am-2am and Saturday Noon-2am. Four courses of their amazing selections for only $20. Definitely a great way to introduce yourself and your family or friends to the Oak City Meatball Shoppe!
- Labor Day Raleigh City Cemetery Tour- There will be a tour of Raleigh City Cemetery on Monday, September 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM. City Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Raleigh. It contains many of the founding fathers and mothers for the City of Raleigh. The tour is free and open to the public. Participants should meet at the East Street Gate. The rain date is 9/6/14.This tour is co-sponsored by The Wake County Historical Society and Raleigh City Cemetery Preservation, Inc.
- Bull City Summer- NC Museum of Arts in Raleigh. 10 nationally and internationally known photographers documented the 2013 season at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
Try a new DIY hair treatment! Find out what foods will make your hair shiny and healthy
- Noah's Landing Blue 'n 'Cue at the Zoo, Saturday, Aug 30 11:00a to 4:00p Noah's Landing Coats, NC Celebrate the end of summer with good tunes, unique critters, and mouth-watering barbecue! On August 30-31, families are invited to “Blue ‘n ‘Cue at the Zoo,” a special weekend at Noah’s Landing when visitors can skip the usual tour to wander the zoo on their own. (Guides will be standing by to share fun facts.) Local musicians will be playing bluegrass music throughout the day, barbecue plates will be on sale, and a moonbounce will be standing by for energetic kids! Admission: $8/person
- Friday Night Tributes Music Series- at North Hills. Who's Bad, a Michael Jackson tribute band. The show is free and runs from 7-9 p.m. at Midtown Park.
- Durham Food Truck Rodeo- Durham Central Park, Sunday August 31, noon until 4pm
- Conclusion of Raleigh Beer Week- Events for Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
Friday, Aug. 29:
- 5 p.m.: Allagash Brewing Night at Ridgewood Beer & Wine. Enjoy eight unique beers will be on tap.*
- 6 p.m.: Bell's Tap Takeover at Landmark Tavern
- 7 p.m.: Wicked Weed Tap Takeover & Beer Release at Tasty Beverage. Try the third installment of Wicked Weed's Combers series, Lusus Naturae. Head brewer Walt Dickinson will be there.
Saturday, Aug. 30
- 12 p.m.: Hidden Pipe Porter Cask at Lincoln Bottle Shop. Enjoy a cask of Raleigh Brewing's Hidden Pipe Porter, which has been aged on mocha and chocolate since March.
- 2 p.m.: All Over the NC Map at BottleMixx. All 10 taps will be dedicated to North Carolina breweries, including Ponysaurus, Deep River, Fullsteam, White Street and more.
- 4 p.m.: Flanders Red Volume 1 Bottle Release at Trophy Brewing.
- 6 p.m.: Boulevard Brewing Tap Takeover at Capital Club 16
- 8 p.m.: IPA Exclusive at Woody's City Market. Foothills Brewing is bringing four different styles of IPA to try, including Hoppyum, Jade, Seeing Double and their IPA of the month.
Sunday, Aug. 31
12 p.m.: Brewmaster's
- 2 p.m.: Seven Shades of Betty at Lonerider. Experience Shotgun Betty's summer flavors, including Watermelon and Lemon Zest casks.
- 4 p.m.: Clutching the Lips of Faith at Woody's City Market. The lineup is solely beers from New Belgium's Lips of Faith series.
- 6 p.m.: Barrel Aged Patio grand opening with the Debonzo Brothers at Trophy Brewing
- 8 p.m.: Barrel Aged Stout Tap Takeover at Tir na nOg. Five limited release barrel aged stouts are on tap. Some have been aging since 2012.
There are lots of things to do on the long holiday weekend! Labor Day Weekend is typically considered the end of the summer season. White clothes, shoes and handbags should be put up for storage until next summer. Local swimming pools will start closing soon as the weather begins to cool into the crisp autumn air.
Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!