It’s a year since The Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board created Car Free LA – an eco-tourism initiative that offers travelers a variety of free itineraries centered around exploring Los Angeles’ various neighborhoods, attractions and hidden gems by walking, biking and taking the METRO. To honor the anniversary the organization has partnered with hotels across the city to create fun spring and summer travel packages inspired by program.
Hotels such as W Hollywood Hotel, Hotel Angeleno, The Beverly Garland, Hilton Universal, Kimpton’s Hotel Palomar Los Angeles – Westwood and The Hotel Wilshire, Jamaica Bay Inn, Chamberlain West Hollywood and Sportsmen’s Lodge Hotel are participating in the event giving guests the tools they need to plan the perfect car-free vacation. Perks include museum madness walking tours, stand-up paddle boarding, complimentary bike rentals, and much more. To book a Car Free LA hotel package or download complimentary Car Free LA vacation itineraries, visit www.discoverLosAngeles.com/CarFreeLA.
Some sample auto-free packages are being offered by:
- Welcome Amenity: a pedometer, two bottles of water, a healthy snack and sunscreen
- Car-free map of the neighborhood
- Complimentary valet parking
Bounce back offer: show up the Front Desk after havinf walked at least 10,000 steps per day with your pedometer, and score a special code for 20% off of room rate during their next stay. The offer can be redeemed within one year of your visit. Availability is now through October 31, 2014 with starting Rates: Hotel Wilshire $299 per night + tax; Hotel Palomar LA: $259 per night plus tax.
Hotel Angeleno is offering the ‘LA Our Way’ package with an exclusive insider’s guide, titled ‘We Are Not Square,’ highlighting activities including museum madness tours and a ‘how-to bar hop’ tip sheet. The package includes:
- ‘We Are Not Square’ guide
- Fanny pack with the following items: sunglasses, bottled water, protein bar and sunscreen
- Power breakfast at West Restaurant & Lounge
- The hotel will donate 5% of every package booked to the annual Lynne Cohen Foundation Kickin’ Cancer Run/Walk
- Complimentary shuttle service within three miles
Availability run now through December 30, 2014; blackout dates apply, advanced reservations necessary Starting Rates: $269 per night + tax.
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City’s ’Car-Free Getaway’ package is the perfect eco-friendly vacation for the corporate, family and leisure traveler. The package includes:
- Accommodations for two adults
- Welcome Amenity: a pedometer, two bottles of water and a healthy snack
- Bounce back offer: Guests that present to the Front Desk 10,000 steps on their pedometer during their stay will receive a code for 15% off their next visit
Availability is now through October 30, 2014 with starting Rates: $169 plus tax.
Chamberlain West Hollywood’s Urban Eco-Friendly Biking package allows guest to save gas and see the sights. Recently voted most walkable city in California, West Hollywood boasts exceptional shopping, dining and entertainment, all located just moments away from this stylish boutique hotel. Package for two includes:
- One night stay in an Executive King Suite, spacious open floor plan with king bed and step down seating area, private balcony and fireplace
- Arrival amenity will be a Chef's surprise
- Two 21-speed high end hybrid road bikes, helmets, safety vests, locks, self-guided tour map of West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Bel Air supplied by Bikes and Hikes LA, plus an additional self-guided tour map to Santa Monica Beach
- Complimentary glass of wine at the rooftop pool
- Complimentary overnight valet parking
Availability is now through October 31, 2014; book via phone at 310.657.7400 or 800.201.9652 or online at www.chamberlainwesthollywood.com with starting Rates: $289 per night + tax; based on one night stay.
W Hollywood rolls out the red carpet for fabulous parties and celebrity style-mixing with its ‘Walk of Fame’ package tha includes:
- Bliss Fabulous Feet Pedicure
- $10 TAP card for the METRO station
- “Wonderful” room starting from $279
Availability run from today through October 31, 2014; book now at whollywoodhotel.com/walkoffame or call 877-782 0104 and ask for promo code WLKFAME. Starting Rates: $279 per night + tax.
Tucked on the shores of the tranquil Marina del Rey, Jamaica Bay Inn is a refreshing retreat from L.A.’s hustle and bustle. With a design that resembles the colorful and relaxed style of a West Indies resort, vacationers are treated to an authentic vacation vibe. The ‘Car Free’ package allows guests to enjoy the serene setting as they splash through the Marina and explore popular destinations like Venice Beach and Santa Monica – all through the power of their own energy. The package includes:
- 20% off a two-night stay
- Complimentary daily breakfast for two at the acclaimed Beachside Restaurant & Bar ($50 max daily value)
- Complimentary bottled water
- Complimentary nightly self parking
- One-hour stand up paddle boarding lesson for two
- One day complimentary bicycle rentals for two
Availability goes through October 31, 2014; reservations must be cancelled 72 hours prior to arrival date to avoid charge of one night room and tax charges. PROMO CODE: CARFREE with starting Rates: $239 per night + tax with a two night minimum.
In the Valley:
The Beverly Garland, a secluded, urban oasis but just close enough to the action and excitement of Hollywood, Universal Studios and LA’s best attractions, is offering ‘Car Free, No Worries’ package that includes:
- One-night stay in standard accommodations
- Walking map of the neighborhood area
- Welcome amenity water bottle & trail mix
- Complimentary shuttle service to METRO line and Universal Studios
Availability: now through October 31, 2014, based on availability; blackout dates may apply, rates start at $179 per night + tax.
Sportsmen’s Lodge, the legendary Valley hangout of golden day stars such as Katherine Hepburn and Clark Gable, and still very much an industry player is offering a package that includes:
- Hotel Accommodations
- American Breakfast
- Complimentary Bicycle use for the day
- Bottle of Water
Availability starts now throughOctober 31, 2014 based on availability, blackout dates may apply. Rates range from $199 and up.
For more information these deals go to the official visitor information website of the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board at www.discoverLosAngeles.com. Or go to discoverLA on Twitter and Instagram and become a part of the conversation with #CarFreeLA.
Be sure to pass the word on to all your out-of-town friends or relatives who might be visiting LA this spring and summer.