My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, listening closely to wisdom and directing your heart to understanding; furthermore, if you call out to insight and lift your voice to understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it like hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God (Prov. 2:1-5)
- Secret 1: determine to walk in full obedience (if you will receive My words v. 1a). To receive His words means to obey them instead of neglecting them. You must love Jesus on His terms—that means: obeying his commandments. It’s not enough to sing the pretty worship song and cry “I love you Jesus”. You have to prove it with your actions and obedience. “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (Jn. 14:15)
- Secret 2: meditate on His Word (if you will treasure My commands, v. 1b). In the Old Testament, God’s commands, statutes, or precepts are often other ways of referring to His Word. You must treasure God’s commands by filling our mind with His Word. As you meditate on the Scriptures dialogue with Jesus, have a conversation with Him. It is not enough to study the Word—you must give your heart to God and receive from Him as you read it. The Bible gives you the “conversational material” for your prayer life.
- Secret 3: have a teachable spirit and an open heart (if you incline your ear to wisdom, v. 2). This speaks of humbling your heart to learn from the Word instead of resisting its meaning or limiting it to only one small angle. Many who are zealous for God lack a teachable, humble spirit. It’s easy to pick up biases from those we grew up with.
- Secret 4: Ask for more revelation of God (if you cry out for understanding, v. 3). You must actually pray for more revelation of God (Mt. 7:7-8; Eph. 1:17). Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds… (Mt. 7:7-8) That the…Father of glory may give…revelation in the knowledge of Him… (Eph. 1:17)
- Secret 5: Be diligent in your pursuit of God (search for her as treasures, v. 4). Be willing to pay any price find Him. I encourage you to spend the time, because there is a deep correlation between the amount of time we spend with Jesus and the measure of encounter that we have with Him. “…all the riches of Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures” (Col. 2:2-3).
The promise: Understanding and Knowledge
Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. (Prov. 2:5)
Knowing God can be a reality for you if practice these five secrets. Because according to King Solomon (the writer of Proverbs) you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
* Pablo Perez is the editor of Spiritual Fuel (a devotional newsletter for lovers of God) and the creator of Ablaze for Jesus (the inner life coaching program). He loves to write about the Bible and can help you encounter God.