Who remembers going to Kings Dominion way back in the day? Rides, attractions and shows have come and gone over the past 40 years, and Kings Dominion is planning a reunion year with the return of some of those beloved park icons and attractions.
On Saturday, April 5, Kings Dominion opens for a season long celebration of 40 years. As a special treat, opening day will include special musical guest Brinn Black, performances by the VCU Peppas and other fun surprises. The first 4000 guests will receive a free souvenir KD40 wristband to commemorate the opening day and start of the 40th season.
Per the press release,
"I'm very enthusiastic to be opening for our thrilling 40th Celebration season. I grew up not only visiting Kings Dominion, but also started my career here as a seasonal associate," said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion's Vice President and General Manager. "When guests step through our gates onto International Street this year, they'll feel a fresh and exciting energy in the air. Just right for reviving old memories and making new ones."
The 2014 season at Kings Dominion will bring new things to see, do taste and share, along with the return of some of the old, though revamped, favorites. Guests can expect to see ...
- The Singing Mushrooms - four colorful 'shrooms and a friendly frog sing barbershop tunes.
- The Floral Clock has been rebuilt and returns to its original location a the end of Center Street, near the historic carousel.
- Candy Apple Grove, the park's original classic midway, returns with giant candy apples and lots of new surprises.
- The strolling Clown Band is back, roaming around the park and interacting with guests.
- Safari Village (formerly the Congo area of the park) has returned along with improvements to Anaconda and Volcano: The Blast Coaster.
- A new live musical show, KD40 on Stage, will hit the stage with tunes and memories from the 1970s to today.
- International Street is more energized with new lighting and enhancements to the fountain and new coasts of paint on the shops and buildings.
- The park has expanded food offerings and new restaurant concepts to offer more options for guests to enjoy.
- Pizza Parlor (formerly Tower Pizza) has been expanded for more room to cool off on hot days.
- Blue ice cream is back at Sweet Tooth Eatery, located near the Drop Tower in Candy Apple Grove.
- Retro merchandise and collectible pins featuring the Old Dominion Line train, the Safari Monorail and 40th anniversary logo. More limited edition pin designs will be available throughout the season. Some of the upcoming pins include the Skyride, Carousel and Rebel Yell. A
To start off this year of celebrating, Kings Dominion is debuting an inaugural Spring Bloom Festival on operating days April 5 through May 18. International Street has been transformed into a kaleidoscope of color with thousands of blooms, blossoms and sweet-smelling flowers. Guests will be able to taste unique spring foods and beverages, enjoy musical entertainment and participate in hands-on activities on Saturdays.
Opening Day Entertainment at Kings Dominion
Nashville recording artist Brinn Black is from Chester, Virginia. In case you're not familiar with her, she opened for Darius Rucker last fall at Innsbrook, and she was awesome. This theme park and music Examiner can't wait to hear her again. Read all about her performance by clicking here or here.
According to the Huffington Post, the VCU Peppas Band is considered one of the most entertaining pep bands in college basketball. Opening day at Kings Dominion should be a blast!
Kings Dominion has been making memories for families since 1974. Why not come out and relive, or start some new ones, today?
For all of the latest information on this 40th anniversary season at Kings Dominion, please visit the park's website at KingsDominion.com/celebration. Guests can also share their memories of the park in a new photo mosaic at KingsDominionMemories.com.
To stay up-to-date on all of the latest and greatest theme park news and events, kindly click subscribe at the top of the page, follow on Facebook or connect on Twitter. Be sure to check out SomewhereInTheSand.com for even more travel tips, news, attractions and family fun.