Games that take advantage of the Xbox One Kinect motion controls have been few and far between since the console's launch last November. Kinect Sports Rivals was originally meant to be a launch title before it was delayed to give Rare some extra time for polishing. However, it packs six different sports altogether with new entries featuring rock climbing, target shooting and wave racing plus returning favorites such as tennis, bowling and soccer.
While half of the sporting events are redos of previous entries in the Kinect Sports series, Rare has added the following features below that provides an upgrade to the overall experience intended to keep players coming back.
- Champions: Rare’s exclusive scanning technology plots 86 points on your face, scans your skin color and hair color to create your Champion, an awesome, stylized version of you, to use in-game. After your face and body are scanned, your Champion will appear on screen and you will have the opportunity to customize it to look even more like you or individualize it to express yourself in a unique way. This is next-gen character creation only possible with the Xbox One.
- Power-Ups: No self-respecting Champion would enter an event unarmed – every sport has a selection of equipment that bestows a variety of Power-Ups. Some magnify your abilities, some hinder your opponents, and others protect you from attack. Remember to choose your Power-Up wisely before entering each sport, as your choice will accompany your Champion when it appears in other players’ matches, even when you aren’t online.
- Coins and Experience Points: The only way to gain coins is by competing in events, with a higher pay-out awarded based on your final position. Compete and earn coins to be able to purchase new equipment and kits from the in-game store. Additionally, you can earn Experience Points, or XP, in each sport. The more you please the crowd, the faster you’ll break through XP levels and gain access to more prestigious items. If you accumulate enough XP, you can unlock advanced challenges, like new wake racing circuits, climbing routes, and much more.
- Level Up and Fans: Each of the six sports gives you the ability to level up and become an elite Champion for that sport. As you level up, you will gain access to unique outfits and equipment. The equipment gives you more impactful Power-Ups to give you the best advantage over your rivals. Every victory you have adds to your fame, which gives you more and more fans. The fans you win over in your living room will follow you as you go online to battle for ultimate Champion glory.
- Xbox Live: The new Xbox Live for Xbox One gives incredible access to Cloud-powered computing. Your Champion will play on your behalf using your skill level and your play style if you are not online. Of course, you can also play with your friends when you are both online, just like you are in the living room together.
Kinect Sports Rivals is due out for the Xbox One on April 8.
You can follow Scott via Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed or email alerts for all the latest game news and deals as well as the weekly Furious Fourcast podcast/videocast. All game news on Examiner can be followed at the Game On Facebook page and Twitter feed.