For the past 14 years, there's been one absolute constant for youth in the Southern Tier. Kid's Fishing Day (KFD), the creation of Kurtis "Mayfly" Nelson, was hatched with the sole purpose of getting kids into fishing, and preferably, fly fishing. The event started with humble beginnings but now draws upwards of 500 people each year to the beautiful Chenango Valley State Park. Little anglers-to-be who showed up at the first KFD are likely avid anglers in their 20's or 30's.
KFD will be held this year on Saturday, May 10th. The event is for kids under the age of 16, but all family members are invited to attend. Check-in starts at 8:00 am and the event opens at 9 am and goes until 1 pm. There is a nominal $2.00 charge per person, but this includes everything for the day, even parking and lunch. There is no separate admission fee to the park and no fishing license is required to fish the lake.
Following is a summary of the many activities for the day:
- Raffles from 9 am to 1 pm.
- Grand prizes given out at 1 pm.
- Lunch is included as part of the event and is served at noon.
- Free fly casting lessons will be given.
- Free fly tying lessons will be given.
- Conservation activities throughout the day.
- Spin casting contest.
- Coloring contest.
- Lastly, the lake, stocked with trout, is open for fishing. No fishing license required for anyone!
KFD could not exist without the support of many volunteers and some great sponsors, including:
- Office of Parks & Recreation, NY State
- Chenango Valley State Park
- Al Hazzard Trout Unlimited Chapter #031
- The Friends of Chenango Valley State Park
- News Channel 34
- Riffles and Waves
This is a terrific way to get a kid started in fishing. Additionally, it is a nice way to spend a Saturday morning with family and friends. Bring a kid and get them interested. Fishing is a sport that can last a lifetime! Pre-register for the event by calling 648-5251.