Californians for a Cure is looking for volunteers to spread support for the California Cancer Research Act by participating in phone banks to call voters, speaking opportunities to local organizations and media events, and recruiting others interested in supporting cancer research. Volunteers will be welcomed on Saturday March 26th, when a kickoff event supporting the California Cancer Research Act will be held in Fontana at the Hilton Garden Inn from 10am to noon.
The California Cancer Research Act will add $1 to the price of a pack of cigarettes. The funds will be allocated :
- 60% to cancer research and other smoking related diseases ($468 million)
- 20% to tobacco prevention and cessation ($156 million)
- 15% for facilities and equipment to support research ($117 million)
- 3% to enforce anti-tobacco laws and stop tobacco smuggling ($23 million)
- 2% is the maximun allowed for administrative costs
Lance Armstrong of LiveStrong.org is the co-chairman for the campaign, which is supported by the American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Heart Association, American Stroke Association, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids and Stand Up to Cancer.
For more information: http://www.californiansforacure.org
To RSVP for the kickoff event in Fontana on March 26th: Joy Kuester at 909-884-5864 or JKuester@Alac.org by March 24th