PORTLAND, Oregon — A three-on-three soccer tournament, live music, classic cars and dog costumes highlight KICK IT UP!, this year’s North Killingsworth Street Fair held Saturday, August 2 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sponsored by the Overlook Village Business Association (OVBA), the events will be held along N. Killingsworth, between N. Gay and N. Concord streets.
KICK IT UP! also celebrates the upcoming Major League Soccer All-Star game happening in Portland on August 6.
Four live bands, the ever-popular dog costume contest, a classic car show, a knit-along, food, vendors and special offers and discounts at participating Overlook Village businesses are all part of the celebration. More information about the festival and the three-on-three soccer tournament is at www.overlookvillagepdx.com.
Three-person teams of soccer players of all skill levels and ages need to sign up online for the tournament. But there are only a few days left to do so: The registration form, player waiver form (one for each player) and registration fees must be received by Monday, July 21.
· Under age 21 – $15 per person – includes one guaranteed game, plus a shot at the playoffs and prizes. Everyone gets a soda, a slice of pizza, and a t-shirt.
· Ages 21 and over – $20 per person – includes one guaranteed game, plus a shot at the playoffs and prizes. Everyone gets a slice of pizza, a beer and a t-shirt.
There will be free activities for kids 6 and under. Proceeds go to Harper’s Playground (http://harpersplayground.org/) and OVBA.
Several restaurants and bars also will have MLS All-Star game viewing parties on August 6.
“Having the All-Star soccer game in Portland is a great opportunity to capture some of that excitement and call attention to our often overlooked neighborhood and our great group of businesses,” explains Matt Lagasse, owner of Blend Coffee and co-president of the OVBA together with Chantelle Castle, Operations Manager of United Advantage NW Credit Union. “We hope to attract people from all over Portland, as well as out-of-towners visiting for the big MLS game and who are looking for something fun to do beforehand.”
Primary sponsor funding of the event comes from Venture Portland, along with Blend Coffee, United Advantage NW Credit Union, Ger-Brock Automotive, and additional support from Advanced Finishing, Echo Printworks and Wacker Sanitary.
Coinciding with KICK IT UP!, OVBA businesses are offering discounts, including 10–15% off food, drink, knitting classes, fitness classes, dollars off pizza, massage, beauty treatments and even BOGO breakfast. Some offers run from Aug 1–8, and others are good for the entire month of August (e.g. 10% off multiple purchases on multiple days). Other discounts are one-time only. A coupon booklet is available at all participating businesses and coupon must be presented to receive the deal every time.
Deals & Discounts (valid with coupon, available starting Aug 1)
- Atomic Pizza (N. Killingsworth and Hollywood locations) – $2 off large pizza.
- Blend Coffee – 10% off espresso drinks and breakfast sandwiches – anytime through Aug 31, 2014.
- Blooming Moon Spa – $15 off one-hour massage, facial or body treatment – anytime through Aug 31, 2014.
- Edge Fitness – 15% off any Boot Camp Drop-In class.
- Greeley Ave. Bar & Grill – BOGO breakfast or free appetizer with beverage purchase.
- Into Eden Skincare – $10 off any treatment, by appointment only.
- Lucky Lab (N. Killingsworth location only) – Free slice with any beverage purchase – valid Aug 1–8, 2014
- Naked Sheep Knit Shop – 50% off any class with Cheri (valid through Dec 31, 2014); 15% off purchase of materials (valid through Aug 31, 2014)
- The Old Gold – $1 off any beer, house wine or whiskey. Valid Aug 1–8, 2014, not in conjunction with Happy Hour pricing, and not on Rainier.
- Overlook Chiropractic – Complimentary half-hour massage after chiropractic exam and treatment. Valid through Aug 31, 2014 for new patients only.
- Sole2Sole Reflexology & Massage – $20 for a half-hour foot reflexology (usually $35), $35 for one hour foot reflexology (usually $55), $30 for a half-hour Tuina massage (usually $40), $55 for one hour Tuina massage (usually $70). Valid anytime through Dec. 31, 2014.
- United Advantage NW Credit Union – $10 membership fee waived through Aug 31, 2014. Must live, work or worship in North Portland.
- Urban Pacific Real Estate – Complimentary home evaluation. Overlook residents receive discounted rate of 1.75% for listing through Dec. 31, 2014.
For more information: http://overlookvillagepdx.com