The Kentucky Derby Museum for the first time is opening to the public more than 10,000 collection items relating to Derby history. The Colonel Clark Library houses books, newspapers, magazines and manuscripts dating to the mid-19th century that are becoming a publicly accessible research center.
The centerpiece is the collection of the late Jim Bolus, long-time sports writer for The Courier-Journal & Louisville Times, historian and renowned expert on the Kentucky Derby. The Bolus Collection consists of thousands of research files, printed materials and recorded interviews covering thoroughbred racing from 1875 to 1995. The Clark Library also features approximately 3,000 published volumes that include noted publications such as The Blood-Horse, Thoroughbred Times and the Daily Racing Form.
The Clark Library is open free of charge on Tuesdays during the museum’s normal operating hours and by appointment. Research items may not leave the premises.
The Derby Museum also has begun digitizing pieces of the collection, with more than 2,500 archival and research items added to the online database to date. Access the searchable database through derbymuseum.org by clicking on the “collections” tab under “about us,” then clicking “search our collection.” Or simply visit the online collections search page.
For research inquiries, the public may contact the museum’s curator of collections, Chris Goodlett at 502-637-1111, ext. 259, or firstname.lastname@example.org.