In the two-weekend competition, contested at AMF Venice Lanes, Combs won handicap all-events with a nine-game pinfall of 2,252, and he topped the leaderboard in Division B singles with 817. In addition, he was a member of the winning Division A team, Last Minute, which also included Larry Butler, Sandy Combs, Bruce Combs and Richard McLaughlin.
Ashley Christensen and Paula Wenzel were two-time champions, teaming to win Division B doubles with a score of 1,400, in addition to being a part of a team called Thrown Together -- also consisting of Barb Ripley, Richard Wright and Gina Quiroz -- which won the Division B five-player event with 3,472.
Donny Bartlett captured the scratch all-events title with a score of 2,246 (a 249.5 average), and he was runner-up in two categories. He teamed with Cody Esbrandt for second place in Division A doubles (1,482), and he was No. 2 in handicap all-events (2,246).
With the help of a tournament-high 805 scratch series, Jerry Tucciarone Jr. prevailed in Division A singles with a handicap total of 829, and Cliff Martin and Jim Ord won Division A doubles with 1,505.
Two tournament participants posted 11-in-a-row performances: Saul Insignares, with a 299 game, and Ed Slusser, who rolled a 290.
The top three finishers in the final, unofficial standings, plus the tentative low-to-cash figures:
- DIVISION A TEAM: 1, Last Minute (Larry Butler, Sandy Combs, Kenny Combs, Bruce Combs, Richard McLaughlin) 3,561; 2, Mark's Lawn Service (Ed Slusser, Ed Bancs, Bill Farmer, Ed Swietek, Mark Donushi) 3,513; 3, Simi-Pro (Carl Sawyer III, Steven Baran, Saul Insignares, Jesse Hawver, Mike Thompson) 3,464. Low cash: 3,348.
- DIVISION B TEAM: 1, Thrown Together (Barb Ripley, Ashley Christensen, Richard Wright, Gina Quiroz, Paula Wenzel) 3,472; 2, Team Gulf Gate (Dale Harshbarger, Cathy Harshbarger, Donita Stitt, Damaso Larrondo, Matthew Clark) 3,356; 3, Misfits (Pete Rifner, Pete Rifner Jr., Anne-Marie Olin, Jane Olin, Chris Olin) 3,295. Low cash: 3,295.
- DIVISION A DOUBLES: 1, Cliff Martin and Jim Ord 1,505; 2, Donald Bartlett and Cody Esbrandt 1,482; 3, Mike Gronow and Dick Hubbard Jr. 1,473. Low cash: 1,385.
- DIVISION B DOUBLES: 1, Ashley Christensen and Paula Wenzel 1,400; 2, Travis Cook and Glenn Reed 1,382; 3, Donna Stitt and Matthew Clark 1,374. Low cash: 1,318.
- DIVISION A SINGLES: 1, Jerry Tucciarone Jr. 829; 2, Jimmy Bruns 799; 3, Kevin Logan 789. Low cash: 703.
- DIVISION B SINGLES: 1, Kenneth Combs 817; 2, Richard Wright 775; 3, Ed Bancs 772. Low cash: 696.
- HANDICAP ALL-EVENTS: 1, Kenneth Combs 2,252; 2, Donald Bartlett 2,246; 3, Jerry Tucciarone Jr. 2,233. Low cash: 2,062.
- SCRATCH ALL-EVENTS: 1, Donald Bartlett 2,246; 2, Jeff Stapleton 2,176; 3, Jerry Tucciarone Jr. 2,161. Low cash: 1,933.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]