Hip Hop fans thought last week was a good week for Kendrick Lamar. On Wednesday, August 21, 2013, it was announced that Kendrick Lamar went platinum for his album Good Kid m.A.A.d city for the week ending on Sunday. Once again, if you think controversy doesn’t sell, Kendrick found himself back in the top 10 Hip Hop charts off the strength of his “Control” verse. With 9,000 sells this week, Kendrick beat out Macklemore to platinum status.
In other news, we have a new number one album. K.Michelle took over the top spot with 72,000 units sold in her debut week. Robin Thicke who has had no shortage of controversy in the past week remained solid at number two with 48,000 records sold.
Jay Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail sold 37,000 last week. He is rapidly approaching platinum, and that could happen before the end of September. It all depends on if his sales take a severe dip, but right now, they’ve been holding steady.
The aforementioned Macklemore was very close to a million. Next week he’s sure to get there officially. It’s likely that Macklemore is already passed platinum status if you base it on projections.
Rounding out the top five is Hoodie Allen with 11,000 sales in his debut week.
For the rest of the top 10 charts, check below and let us know what you think.
1. K. Michelle - Rebellious Soul - 72,000 (72,000)
2. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines - 48,000 (291,000)
3. Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail - 37,000 (882,000)
4. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist - 16,000 (998,000)
5. Hoodie Allen - Americoustic EP - 11,000 (11,000)
6. Tech N9ne - Something Else - 10,000 (85,000)
7. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city - 9,000 (1,000,000)
8. Kanye West - Yeezus - 6,000 (510,000)
9. Stevie Stone - 2 Birds, 1 Stone - 4,700 (4,700)
10. Aubrey O'Day - Between Two Evils - 3,000 (3,000)