"I have never eaten a chicken wing."
The audience gasped when she said that. Then Kelly began to explain why she doesn't eat chicken wings.
Here are some of her reasons:
- "What's there to eat? It's so small. There's no meat on the wing. I think there’s cartilage or something."
- "I don't eat chicken that much for that matter."
- "Someone told me there are feathers on chicken wings."
- "I would rather eat a chocolate-covered insect than a chicken wing."
The chicken wing conversation came up almost every day last week because Kelly admission is so unbelievable.
She and Michael Strahan have a Super Bowl bet going. If Kelly's team loses Michael asks her to eat a chicken wing on the show.
Michael said he likes his wings mainly for the dip that's on it. He does not like hot, spicy foods, but said he sticks with blue cheese or ranch to dip his wings.
According to the 2013 Wing Report, Americans will eat 1.23 billion wings this weekend. Basically, if 1.23 billion wings were laid end to end, they would stretch from San Francisco to Baltimore 27 times. However, none of them will be eaten by Kelly Ripa.
There are many ways to prepare wings, and the possibilities are endless.
Here are the statistics for those who do eat chicken wings according the new National Chicken Council poll conducted by Harris Interactive.
- Almost six in 10 (57 percent) U.S. adults who eat chicken wings eat them with ranch dressing.
- Only about three in 10 (35 percent) prefer bleu cheese dressing.
- About 43 percent eat their wings with barbecue sauce as their dipping sauce.
- About 38 percent eats wings with hot sauce.
- About 34 percent likes celery with their wings.
- Only 8 percent described themselves as purists who eat their chicken wings plain.
Watch the video and hear the "wing conversation" at the 5:23-10:11 mark.