A trio of college coaches and the wrestler-turned-MMA star known as "the Bear" will be among the guests on Takedown Wrestling this Saturday, Sept. 14, the weekly radio broadcast announced Wednesday.
Join Scott Casber, Brad Johnson and award-winning wrestling writer Dan McCool live this Saturday 9-11 a.m. Central and 10 a.m.-noon Eastern.
The broadcast opens with Jamill Kelly, assistant head coach at North Carolina State. At 9:20, John Licata of the NWCA (National Wrestling Coaches Association) will talk about this fall's 48th annual All-Star Classic, to be held Nov. 3 at George Mason University's Patriot Center outside Washington, D.C.... followed at 9:35 by Thomas Blair, a wrestling fan and participant for over 40 years, to talk about what's needed in wrestling.
In the second hour, Bruce Burnett, long-time coach at Navy, will undoubtedly talk about his recent announcement that he will be retiring on Oct. 1. At 10:15, it's "the Bear" -- Steve Mocco, two-time NCAA heavyweight champ (first for University of Iowa, then Oklahoma State), 2008 Olympian, and emerging big man in mixed martial arts who just won his third pro MMA bout last month. Northwestern's Drew Pariano takes the mic at 10:30 to talk about the 2013 Midlands post-Christmas tournament -- now in its 51st season -- and opportunities for post-collegiate wrestlers.
Fans, athletes, coaches: This is your sport. Join in the conversation, ask questions. Call 866-333-5966 or 515-204-5966.
Takedown Wrestling is available on radio on AM 1460 KXNO, on your computer, your Blackberry or I Phone with the I Heart Radio App. KXNO.com, Takedownradio.com, I Heart Radio App
Takedown Wrestling's guest list for Sept. 14:
- 9:05: Jamill Kelly, assistant head coach at NC State
- 9:20: John Licata, on the 2013 NWCA All-Star Classic at George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
- 9:35: Thomas Blair, wrestling supporter, coach, athlete who will address "What's needed in wrestling?"
- 9:50: Tyler Barkley, Max Muscle Sports Nutrition Update
- 10:00: Bruce Burnett, head coach at the US Naval Academy
- 10:15: Steve Mocco, heavyweight wrestling champ who's fast becoming one of the best big men in MMA
- 10:30: Drew Pariano, head coach at Northwestern, to talk about the Ken Kraft Midlands
- 10:50: Peggie Johnson, Wildrose Casino and Resort, Clinton, Iowa
The season will start soon! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with all the pre-season predictions, coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, the IOC and Olympic wrestling, match results, and other developments year round... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!