For many Calgary families, the flu has already hit their home this holiday season. If you are one of the lucky ones, you haven't had to experience any flu symptoms yourself or anyone in your household. If you haven't gotten the flu, or do not want it to re-enter your home, there are some tried and true tricks you can use to help minimize the chances of the flu in your house.
- Wash your hands often: Washing your hands helps eliminate the bacteria that has been picked up touching door handles, handling money, coughing or any other contact that you may have picked up the virus. You do not have to use anti-bacterial soap, while some people swear by anti-bacterial hand soap or alcohol hand sanitizer, washing your hands for a full 2 minutes can be just as effective if done properly.
- Any signs of sore throat, sniffles, headache, etc. be sure to start cleaning! Wash all bedding, bathroom fixtures and wipe down all door handles that everyone comes in contact with.
- Try to use sanitizing wipes when out in public. Places like the grocery store or malls will have sanitizing wipes for shopping carts to help combat the transmission of the flu virus. Just think of how many hundreds of people have opened the door to the mall or used that shopping cart before you! Diligence is key when out in a public place.
There are many old-wives-tales that some people swear by in order to keep their homes flu free each year. It is up to you whether you wish to try them and see if they actually work for you or not.
- Keep an cut onion in a dish in each room of your home. Legend has it that the flu virus will settle on the onion itself and no one else.
- Do not purchase boxed mandarin oranges. Some individuals swear that by eliminating this one product they have avoided the flu each year. Whether it is because individuals dig through each box ensuring there are no rotten oranges in a box or the amount they have to travel to the grocery store, some people feel they carry the flu virus each year.
- Hot Toddy for that sore throat for Mom or Dad. While you do not want to try this on your children, Mom and Dad can mix up a homemade Hot Toddy to get rid of a sore throat or fight flu symptoms. With hot tea, a shot of whiskey and some honey to taste, you may just feel better even if it doesn't help fight off the symptoms.
There is no one perfect way to fight the cold and flu season, but with some diligence you could minimize the effects or symptoms of the cold or flu on your family during this winter season.