Sharpening the Aging Mind
Though the brain is not a muscle, almost all research points to the fact that like muscles, "use it or lose it!" As a couple you and your partner should challenge each other to use your brains. Especially in our senior years we tend to become complacent with out knowledge and mental abilities. We have to keep our minds active and that is better done with others to keep us mentally active and challenged. Here are a few easy, but very beneficial activities to do as a couple to sharpen the aging mind:
1. Conversation; talk to each other, share family problems and solve them together. Share your experiences and discuss them with each other. It's a very sad fact that many couples speak to each other less than a hour a day.
2. Play challenging mental games together; cards, Scrabble, Boggle, chess, checkers, picture puzzles and other type puzzles. Even the simplest games are beneficial.
3. Read; reading is one of the best mental exercises, fiction or non-fiction, and it's all the better if you discuss your books with one another.
4. Exercise together, walk, swim, bicycle, free weights, cardio-work outs, it matters not what, but do it as a couple 5 times a week at least for an hour a day. The same exercises that keep your body in shape circulates oxygen loaded blood through your brain. The brain uses more oxygen that any other part of your body, needing upward of over 33% of all your oxygen. Feed it all it needs.
5. Have sex! Sexual activity circulates as much blood to the brain as a 30 minute brisk walk. Ain't that a great excuse!
6. Learn something new! It's a myth that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Putting forth the effort to learn anything new is enormously beneficial to an aging mind.
7. Remain social; interaction with other people is a great mental boost. Seek out new friends and reestablish with old acquaintances. Rehashing old memories is a wonderful exercise.
8. Sitting and staring at the TV can be a useless pastime, but game shows, educational programs, and historical or current event shows can be beneficial especially if discussed with your partner or others.
9. Have fun together, laugh, play, enjoy others ... be alive!
10. Read "Sharpening The Aging Mind" www.boomerbookseries or Amazon Kindle books by Othniel Seiden