On Feb 9, 2013, Kebek Animal Rights Association advocacy group gathered to celebrate National Anti-Fur Day. This was Canada’s 23rd National Anti-Fur Day Protest and KARA is the only city of the Province of Quebec that participated in this commemorative day for all Canadian animal advocates.
More than 20 animal activists of all ages stood at their traditional location at Philips Square facing the magazine The Bay. Although the temperature was well below the freezing point, the activists once again stood ground with posters and offered people information with regards to animal trapping and the staggering numbers of animals murdered for the fur trimmed jackets.
Since 1989, the National Anti-Fur Day Page on Facebook states that they are Canada's 1st and longest running national campaign against the fur trade. KARA has been very active since 2012 with the start of their silent campaign vigils in collaboration with Fur Bearer Defenders, another Canadian advocacy group. KARA has compromised itself to have a continuity in their advocacy against the fur trade, until the day Canada is free from the cruelty of trapping and exploiting of animals for feeding the ego of people that have no use in a civilized society to wear fur products.
In a recent article by Ryan Remiorz, for the Canadian Press, it is discussed how fur is making a fashion comeback among trendy city dwellers. The fur industry is being welcomed back by manufacturers and people that believe they are trendsetters wearing fur. Teresa Eloy, of the Fur Council, is quoted as saying that animals in fur farms are treated well in order for the fur of the animal to be beautiful. As always, the fur council deceives the gullible public into hearing a twisted truth in order to have no empathy for the animal that dies for someone’s hood or earmuffs.
There is certainly no kindness in restraining a living creature from it’s natural freedom and then killed for the trim of hood or collar that has no purpose other than to be a blind follower of fashion. It used to be “hip” when people were truly trendsetters and fashion style would make others do a double take in order to enjoy their taste in clothing. At this moment, the streets are so crowded with fur trim that it is a living nightmare for those that have a heart and appreciate the fur of a living creature while it still is very much alive.
That is why it is important to join events that are against the fur industry and do outreach to inform the public. Compassion is the only fashion and cruelty should not be a trend. Empathy for all animals should be the only trend in a society that it is to be considered civilized.
The other groups through out Canada that were part of National Anti-Fur Day are the following:
1. Nova Scotia Humane Society is putting an Anti-Fur Ad in the Chronicle Herald newspaper
3. A local activist is advertising in the local paper, Recorder and Times for people to donate their fur coats so they can be brought to the Aspen Valley Wildlife. Click here for their Facebook group
4. Compassion for Animals - Animal Rights / Vegetarian Organization is hosting a "Have a Heart - Don't Buy Fur" protest that will have a few activists dressed in black shirts and shorts to show they'd rather be cold that wear fur: Click here to join their event on Facebook
5. Guelph Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (GSETA) will host a demonstration: Click here for their Facebook event
6. Peace for Animals: Vegan Animal Rights Community will be protesting at Jackson Square: Click here for their Facebook event
7. Kingston Animal Trust: Click here for their Facebook event
8. Fur Free London: Click here for their Facebook group
12. PEACE FOR ANIMALS Click here for their Facebook event
13. Fur Free Durham: Click here for their Facebook event
14. Ottawa Animal Defense League: Click here for their Facebook event
15. Click here for Facebook event
16. ARK II, FUR FREE TORONTO, GLOBAL WILDLIFE WARRIORS: Click here for Facebook event
17. The Humane Education Network (THEN)
18. Calgary Animal Rights Meetup
Have a Heart, Don't Wear Fur Peaceful Outreach Event
19. VOICES FOR ANIMALS HUMANE SOCIETY:
Protest at The Bay Click here for Facebook group
20. The Responsible Animal Care Society, TRACS
21. VANCOUVER ANIMAL DEFENSE LEAGUE: Click here for Facebook Event
22. Protest at Snowflake Furs
23. Poster campaign in downtown Vancouver
24. Friends of Animals: Click here for Facebook Event
Thank you so much for reading. If you liked this article and would like to receive more content from Montreal Animal Advocacy Examiner directly to your email, please click here to "Like" and subscribe!No spam or publicity! You will only receive new articles by Montreal Animal Advocacy Examiner 5 minutes after being published. Read the news firsthand before you see it on any social media network!