Kanye West finally got around to griping about this year's just announced Grammy nominations Tuesday night, while in concert in Phoenix. Kanye told the crowd he has one question for the Recording Academy, which is, "Where's my damn Grammy nominations?". West's "Yeezus" album did manage to garner two Grammy nods, but it seems that isn't enough for the vociferous rapper, who compiled a long list of ridiculous quotes over the course of the last 12 months.
Kanye devoted part of his nightly rant to wondering why he did not get more Grammy love for his latest album offering. West pointed out that "Yeezus" is currently at or near the top of every music list, but only received two Grammy nominations, according to MTV News on Dec. 11.
"What are they trying to say?", Kanye asked the US Airways Center crowd. What is West complaining about? He's received some well-deserved Grammy attention over the past decade with 53 nominations (#5 all-time) and 21 wins (#6 all-time).
And he's just scored two more nominations this time for Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song for "New Slaves".
- "I’m putting my life at risk, literally!...I’m like, wow, this is like being a police officer or something, in war or something".
- "...my ego is my drug. My drug is, 'I’m better than all you other motherf***ers. Kiss my *ss!'"
- "I'm 10 years ahead of you mentally".
- "The biggest corporation in the world doesn't have the amount of relevancy as me and Kim".
- "It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness.
- "I am Warhol! I am the number one most impactful artist of our generation. I am Shakespeare in the flesh. Walt Disney, Nike, Google. Now who's going to be the Medici family and stand up and let me create more?".
- "I was put in a classification of 'just' a celebrity,...But for me, I’m a creative genius, and there’s is no other way to word it. I know you’re not supposed to say that about yourself".
- "Now, I just do exactly what I want, whenever I want, how the f**k I want. 'F**k you' is my message".
- "We culture. Rap is the new rock 'n' roll. We the rock stars....We the new rock stars, and I’m the biggest of all of them. I’m the No. 1 rock star on the planet".
- "This is the f**k we make....We make good music, we make good music. We don’t give a f**k about how much goddamn money you make, we make good music".
- "I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period. By a long jump".
- "Man, I’m the number one living and breathing rock star. I am Axl Rose. I am Jim Morrison. I am Jimi Hendrix".
- "For me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself".
- "I am a God", which of course is the title of a track off of his latest album "Yeezus", as in Jesus.
- "I love banquettes and shit".
Here's to a new year of insightful messages from the rapping messiah. Feel free to share your favorite Kanye quotes since surely there's more out there.