This week, the Kansas City Business Journal (KCBJ) announced its selection of the healthiest employers in the Kansas City metro.
All of these companies are committed to the proposition that a healthy work force is a big factor in achieving a healthy bottom line, according to the publication.
The 20 honored companies in the annual Healthiest Employers competition will be honored at a Thursday, March 7 luncheon from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Sheraton Overland Park, Overland Park, KS. Registration is required.
The winners, by category, are:
5 - 249 employees:
• ARC Physical Therapy+
• Genesys Systems Integrator
• Kansas City Internal Medicine
• Thomas McGee LC
• Tria Health LLC
250 - 999 employees:
• IMA Inc.
• John Knox Village
• Nazdar Co.
• Union Bank & Trust
1,000 - 3,499 employees:
• City of Independence
• Faith Technologies Inc.
• JE Dunn Construction
• North Kansas City Hospital
• Cerner Corp.
• Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
• Lockton Cos.
• Saint Luke’s Health System
• Truman Medical Centers
According to the American Heart Association, employers that spend on health promotion and chronic disease prevention programs achieved a rate of return on investment ranging from $3 to $15 for each dollar invested with savings realized within 12 to 18 months.
To ensure optimum performance among your employees, consider adopting one or more of these suggestions (some of which you can do with little to no investment):
- Serve healthy snacks (breakfast bars, fruit and nuts) instead of donuts and candy at meetings.
- Negotiate gym membership discounts with fitness clubs near your office for your employees.
- Subsidize smoking cessation classes.
- Offer stress-reducing neck massages by local therapists for low prices to your employees during lunch periods.
- Organize teams of employees to participate in local runs and walk-a-thons for charity.
- Invite nearby nutritionists to present workshops or seminars for free to employees at your office before or after work.
- Suggest a team forms to gather and then to publish healthy recipes in a cookbook that can be distributed electronically to all your employees.
- Partner with Weight Watchers to form a group of employees that can meet during lunchtime or after work at your office.
And, if you need individual assistance with eating healthfully as part of your fitness regimen, have YourNutritionKitchen prepare meals for you.