Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Juve beat Jets in training game

Newcastle Jets line up in a wall
Newcastle Jets line up in a wall
Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images

Juventus have completed a successful Australian tour as they managed a 1-0 training win against the Jets behind closed doors at Kograh on Tuesday night.

The match was hastily scheduled after Juventus requested a second hit out and as such, both sides were playing the match in their training kits, with a number of Juventus players leaving their tracksuit jackets on.

With the match being an unofficial practice match, it was split in to two 35 minute halves with Juventus leaving most of their first team out for the match, designed to give their reserve players a pre-season match.

Juventus started the match well, dominating the possession and could well have made it 1-0 in the 11th minute as Kingsley Coman got a shot away that was denied by a solid save from Ben Kennedy.

Newcastle started to attack and in the 14th minute had their first chance of the match as Josh Barresi released Craig Goodwin down the wing, but he sent his cross in with too much power which let Juve off the hook.

An injury to Barresi put a dampener on the first half as the Jets quickly substituted him to avoid losing Barresi for any actual game time.

In the 26th minute Juventus hit the lead as Sebastian Giovinco gained possession on the edge of the area and then beat Adrian Madaschi allowing him to easily send the ball past Kennedy.

Gionvinco could well have sealed his brace three minutes later as he was left unmarked and was able to volley at goal but he missed the chance, mishitting the strike.

David Carney almost produced an impressive goal just after the half hour as he hit a free-kick from 30 yards but had too much power on it, hitting it over the crossbar.

Right at the death of the first half, Newcastle could well have had an equalizer but Mitchell Oxborrow’s powerful half volley was denied by a fabulous Marco Storari who leaped high to keep it out and keep Juve 1-0 up at the break.

Carney tried for a spectacular goal just after the half as he hit a strike directly from the kick-off and hit it over the top of Rubinho’s head and in to the back of the net. The goal was chalked off after protest from Juventus that they weren’t ready for the kick-off and forced David Carney to take the kick-off again, despite the referee having blown his whistle.

The second half was tighter than the first and in the 43rd minute Juventus had their first chance as Simone Pepe got a chance away but was denied by a Mark Birighitti save.

With the Jets defense holding firm they had the final really clear chance of the match as Jonny Steele was able to send in a cross to the far post for Michael Finlayson who headed to goal but was denied by a Rubinho save, ending the match 1-0.

Report this ad