1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Music

Justin Bieber nominated for a BET award??

Monday, April 5, 2010 Justin Bieber performs at the annual Easter Egg Roll hosted by President Obama
(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, File)

Justin Bieber was nominated by Black Entertainment Television for an award as Best New Artist along with Nicki Minaj, Wale, Melonie Fiona and Young Money.

Well, that's just weird, isn't it?  BET was started to promote Black artists on television.  There's no denying Justin Beiber sings sweet tunes with a nice set of pipes which make the young girls cry, but he's not Black.  He's White.

Should he be discriminated against for being White if people really think he's the best New Artist?  Some would contend that reverse discrimination is not the answer.

Others may contend that it got people to pay attention to the BET awards and may draw additional viewers with the controversy.  A larger viewer share for the BET Awards that Bieber's appearance on the show would draw wouldn't exactly be unwelcome.

Other BET nominees

Jimmy Kimmel enjoys taking another stab at Bieber on Jimmy Kimmel Live.  Regular viewers have enjoyed seeing Bieber's turn on the segment "Unnecessary Censorship."  Bieber has appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live in person, surprising a 3 year old girl who cries at the sight of him.  Kimmel magically isolates the funny element, and it seems Bieber might be laughing along with it.

Comments

• justin fan 4 years ago

i love you justin bieber 4 ever

• jazlyn foltz 4 years ago

you rock i wish i coulddate u i love u

• laryssa 4 years ago

i wish i could date u because your famis and you rock!
    i love u so much my mom said she would like to scoop u up and take u home she thinks your hot. I love u and bffs 4 ever!
    from laryssa almen
    to u

• nana 4 years ago

i love you justin bieber youb are my number one fan justin could you do me a favar could you come to my party it is in june 15 2010 and sing me a song love nana p.s i hope you make it

• shaylajackson 4 years ago

i wish i went out with justin beiber because u are hot to me
    not

• MAD! 4 years ago

I AM APPALLED! WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY? WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THIS CHILD BE NOMINATED FOR A BET AWARD? HIS MUSIC ID NOT REFLECTIVE OF THE TYPE OF MUSIC PLAYED ON THAT NETWORK! THIS IS SIMPLY APPALLING!

• TRIEU LINH 4 years ago

IT'GREAT ,A BIG FAN ,I WANT TO SEE YOU ,JUSTIN BIEBER

• lexi 4 years ago

u r so hot and i love u . i wish i could see u

• shaqeenana love 4 years ago

hey ugly

• yannisa 4 years ago

i love you justin bieber i wish i can marry you.

• Diana Diaz 4 years ago

I wish some of these fans felt this way about some of the indie and alternative acts I love so much. That would make my day. Oh well.

• justin bieber!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 years ago

I'm ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lilkunta 4 years ago

Diana Diaz: Are you racist? It doesnt matter that JB is anglo.
    It IS NOT ABOUT MELANIN. It is about song content. It doesnt matter that he is living in atl, that he is usher’s protege, that he has
    a song remix with ludacris.

Does he get played on BET?no.
    Does he get plated on an urban stations in the USA?no.

His music is the gnere of pop, dance, not rb or soul.
    Janelle Monae shoulda been nom’d.
    Why werenet NSync nom'd for the song GONE that Brian McKnight produced that DID GET RADIO PLAY ON URBAN STATIONS?
    Why hasnt Xtina Aguilera been nom'd? She sings like Etta! Especially her last cd 2006's Back To Basics was produced by DJ Premier(of Gang Starr for you young dummies who think rap is wayne & dont know a damn thing about pac, biggie, naughty by nature, dialted peoples, arrested development, and so many more).

• lilkunta 4 years ago

Justin Bieber does not deserve the best new BET artist award. Justin Bieber is not a R&B, Hip Hop, or Jazz performer, the genres of music the artists who are featured on BET & Cenntric represent! This is no more than a reminder to blacks that they own nothing regarding the distribution of their music. VIACOM which owns BET, MTV & VH1, is free to do whatever it likes with its networks! BET is not permitted to support Afr-Am artists that WHITE American’s feel r unacceptable 4 whatever reason but they can support the likes of a Justin Bieber! WHAT A SAD, SAD DAY IN AMERICA.

• Diana Diaz 4 years ago

Wow! The things people say! Amusing. Apparently no one seems to like that Justin Beiber was nominated for a BET award. If anything, I wrote this from the perspective of someone who is cynical about corporations using an opportunity to generate viewership by creating controversy. I don't have cable. I hear most things about music by attending festivals, concerts, and reading great blogs like Pitchfork Media.

Christina Aguilera would be a far better example of hip hop/r&b. But there are even some acts with a strong hip hop influence who would never be nominated.

• T.F.Rogers jr. 3 years ago

" Justin Beiber has a unique style drawing all types of people ,I would be honored to record some music tracks for him" -T.F.Rogers jr. (Dream Lion )

• One.N.Onliee.Mii 3 years ago

Does it really matter that he's white? Like really?
    It doesn't!!
    Its really stupid how people mad because he white and nominted for a BET award. Eminem white and he be getting nominated for awards. Why Would it matter if Justin Bieber is too. Im a HUGE Justin Bieber fan and im not just saying all of this because of that but because its stupid. Its really stupid.

• Profile picture of Diana Diaz
    Diana Diaz 3 years ago

It did to so many people as you see in the comments. It IS called the BLACK Entertainment Awards. Is Eminem nominated at BET? I don't get the channel it's televised on.