The jobs report revealed the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons declined by 1.1 percentage points and 1.7 million respectively over the past twelve months. Over the past twelve months, job growth averaged 209,000 jobs per month.
In addition, the May 2014 jobs report was revised from 224,000 jobs added to 229,000 jobs added and the June 2014 jobs report was revised from 288,000 jobs added to 298,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in the May 2014 and June 2014 were 15,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
The jobs report found employment growth in professional and business services, manufacturing, retail trade, construction, and mining in July 2014. Among specific industries:
- Professional and business services added 47,000 jobs in July 2014 and has added 648,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Manufacturing gained 28,000 jobs in July 2014 and has added an average of 12,000 jobs per month over the past 12 months.
- Retail trade rose by 27,000 jobs in July 2014. Over the past year, retail trade has added 298,000 jobs.
- Construction increased by 22,000 jobs in July 2014. Over the year, construction has added 211,000 jobs.
- Mining added 8,000 jobs in July 2014. Over the year, mining employment has risen by 46,000.
Employment in other major industries including health care, leisure and hospitality, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, and government, showed little change in July 2014.
The jobs report for August 2014 will be released on September 5, 2014.
The current BLS jobs report is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.