Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister makes his directorial debut in the provocative science fiction film Transcendence. Adapted from a screenplay by Jack Paglen, it stars Oscar nominee Johnny Depp, Paul Bettany, Rebecca Hall, Kate Mara, Cillian Murphy, Clifton Collins Jr. and Oscar winner Morgan Freeman.
Brilliant innovator Dr. Will Caster is the foremost researcher in the field of artificial intelligence. He has spent his entire career dedicated to creating a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. While his highly unorthodox experiments have made him famous in scientific circles, they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists. An anti-tech group known as "Revolutionary Independence From Technology" (R.I.F.T.) is determined to stop him at all costs and succeeds to shoot Will with a radioactive bullet during a series of synchronized attacks on A.I. labs across the U.S.
Instead of destroying Will, their efforts inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed -- to be a participant in his own transcendence. As Will is given no more than a month to live, his wife Evelyn and best friend Max, both fellow researchers, upload his consciousness into a computer to survive his body’s death. However soon after, they question their actions and their worst fears are realized as Will’s thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. As the government and R.I.F.T. work to stop Will, it becomes terrifyingly clear that it may be too late.
The DVD and Blu-ray special features include “What Is Transcendence?” and “Wally Pfister: A Singular Vision” featurettes. Exclusive to Blu-ray are additional featurettes: “Guarding the Threat” and “The Promise of A.I.”; plus viral videos: “It’s Me,” “Singularity” and “R.I.F.T.”
- Johnny Depp as Dr. Will Caster
- Morgan Freeman as Joseph Tagger
- Rebecca Hall as Evelyn Caster
- Kate Mara as Bree
- Cillian Murphy as Donald Buchanan
- Cole Hauser as Colonel Stevens
- Paul Bettany as Max Waters
- Clifton Collins, Jr. as Martin
- Cory Hardrict as Joel Edmund
- Falk Hentschel as Bob
- Josh Stewart as Paul
DVD Special Features:
- What Is Transcendence? - The concept of "transcendence" is discussed by cast and filmmakers as we look inside the film's exploration of Artificial Intelligence and the Singularity.
- Wally Pfister: A Singular Vision - Step inside the creative process of visionary director Wally Pfister to see how he juggles the dazzling, technologically advanced visuals along with guiding the cast through their intense character arcs.
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- Guarding the Threat - Join the debate on the benefits and dangers of transcendence.
- The Promise of A.I. - Learn about the amazing potential of A.I. from scientist and the filmmakers.
- Viral Videos:
o It’s Me
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.