JonBenet Ramsey died on Dec. 25, 1996, and even after 17 years, the ghost of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey continues to haunt the world. “JonBenet Ramsey: Why Are We Still Talking About This 17-Year-Old Case?” is the headline of a Dec. 27, 2013, Babble news report.
“When I woke up on Friday morning and did my daily ‘what’s happening today on the internet’ surfing, I thought I had been gone back in time. Two of the top 10 trending topics were Patsy Ramsey and her daughter JonBenet Ramsey, a 17-year-old case that is still – apparently – on America’s mind. The 17-year-old cold case is trending above Simon Cowell, little black dresses and Angelina Jolie. But why?”
JonBenet Ramsey, born Aug. 6, 1990, would be 23 years old today if the American six-year-old beauty pageant would not have been murdered in her Boulder home in Colorado. After having been reported missing, the little girl’s body was found about eight hours later in the basement of the family’s home during a police search. JonBenet had been struck on the head and strangled. The initial suspects, her parent and her brother, were partially exonerated in 2003 when DNA taken from JonBenet’s clothes was not a match to any of the family members.
During the past 17 years, JonBenet’s ghost has continuously reappeared in the media because of her family’s exoneration (her parents were not completely cleared until July of 2008), the fact that the police’s overall handling of the case drew a lot of criticism, and, last but not least, the fact that in February of 2009, the Boulder Police Department took the case back from the district attorney in order to reopen the investigation into JonBenet’s murder.
As to why the ghost of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey continues to haunt America, Babble’s author provides the following five reasons:
- Dec. 25, was the 17th anniversary of the 6-year-old’s tragic and mysterious death.
- Paula Woodward, the author of “Mr. Ramsey, Listen Carefully!: Facts, Fictions, Lies and Legends in the Murder of JonBenet Ramsey” has almost completed her book and is about to release it.
- The shocking nature of JonBenet’s death, which included brutal head injuries and strangulation, continues to be reported in the media.
- JonBenet Ramsey was “an over-the-top pageant princess, living a seemingly perfect life in an affluent family.”
- “It boils down to this: in America, we love a mystery. And unsolved cases always seem to pique our interest.”
Even though America loves a good mystery, after 17 years, many people might agree with JonBenet Ramsey’s ghost. How about using some modern technology to solve this case – isn’t it time to rest?