Skip to main content
  1. Sports
  2. General Sports

Jon Lester: Red Sox ace denies new contract talks

See also

One of the bright spots for the Boston Red Sox so far this season has been the strong pitching performance of left-hander Jon Lester. The ace has been solid in a contract year. With the team struggling there has also been talks of the team trading the ace, as Lester is eligible for free agency after the season. According to various sources Monday, the Red Sox have re-engaged contract talks, but Lester had denied the report.

Lester has expressed his interest in remaining with the team, but both sides have not been able to work out an agreement. Negotiations with Lester’s representation stalled back in April after the team initially offered Lester $70 million over our years. But apparently the Red Sox have upped their offer to Lester, which has been denied by Lester.

Following the teams 8-5 victory of the rival New York Yankees, Lester was asked about the contract talks. He told reporters, “There has been no offer, there have been no new talks. I’ve been talking to [general manager] Ben [Cherington] all along, but that’s nothing new. There is no new offer. I don’t think they’ve started anything. I know there’s been conversation throughout the season, just different topics…Nothin about contract, numbers, anything like that.”

The team’s interest in extending a contract offer to Lester means the team is still invested in winning this season and also wants to keep Lester around as part of its future. Lester is having one of his best seasons so far. He has a 2.92 ERA in 17 games with 115 strikeouts in 114 innings and 29 starts. Many experts believe the Red Sox should entertain the idea of trading Lester to a contending team and getting the most value for him other than losing him completely to free agency once the season is over. According to ESPN Lester demand a similar contract to that of pitcher Cole Hamels which was $144 million over six years.

Advertisement

Sports

  • Stephen A. Smith apologizes
    Stephen A. Smith: Ray Rice rant was 'most egregious error of my career'
    Video
    Domestic Violence
  • Maria Kirilenko slideshow
    Feast your eyes on the former fiance of Alex Ovechkin: The newly-single Maria Kirilenko
    Camera
    20 Photos
  • New York Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox World Series ring to owner
    MLB News
  • Brees gets tested
    Saints Drew Brees says he has 10 years left in NFL, immediately gets drug tested
    NFL News
  • Bryan subdues burglar
    Former WWE champ Daniel Bryan holds down burglar with submission move
    Fight Sports
  • Grave defiler identified
    Die-hard Browns fan identified in Art Modell’s grave defiling video
    Crimes & Court