The 65th Annual Emmy Awards aired Sunday evening to the usual red carpet fan fare, comedy, emotion and entertainment, with the accompanying how-to guides to recreate your favorite celebrity’s look. However, not much has been mentioned on men’s grooming. Jon Hamm’s stylist, Diana Schmidtke for Anthony Brands, has provided the Long Island Beauty Lookbook Examiner with a detailed look into how the “Mad Men” star prepped for the 2013 Emmys and how to recreate his award winning style.
Celebrity stylist to John Hamm, Diana Schmidtke for Anthony Brands, was recently profiled in The New York Times, where she explained her inspiration behind the 42-year-old actor’s look.
I work with Jon when he’s Jon Hamm…I don’t work with Don Draper. So for me it’s always about making him not look too Don Draper. Almost like he just ran his fingers through his hair, very natural.
For the 2013 Emmys Diana didn’t have to worry about the usually clean cut “Mad Men” persona. Jon Hamm revealed a drastic transformation with a full beard, and stated in E! News why he loves this carefree image.
I love not shaving. This ends up happening… I was in England and was working on a project and had been away for four months and I finally got home and I was like, I think I'm done with shaving for a little while. That was about three days ago and then this happens.
Diana had to work around Jon Hamm’s beard for the 2013 Emmys, which turned out to be an easy process for the celebrity stylist.
Tonight I had to work around Jon’s beard, so well-groomed was the overall goal. What makes a man a stand out is the way he carries himself. He can be dressed to the nines and coiffed to perfection, but it’s the way he exudes confidence that makes the difference, and that’s what Jon does, so it’s really a pleasantly simple process for me.
Below, Diana Schmidtke for Anthony Brands, details how she crafted Jon Hamm’s overall 2013 Emmys look and how you can recreate it for your own similar, award winning style.
- Step 1: Apply Anthony Logistics Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 evenly over the face. Even though the carpet is shaded, it’s still super important to protect the skin.
- Step 3: Apply Anthony Logistics Continuous Moisture Eye Cream gently under the eye area with your index finger. All guys worry about crow’s feet, whether they admit or not. I like Anthony’s because it contains cucumber extract plus Vitamin A, C and E, which serve to reduce puffiness, redness and brighten the area.
- Step 3: Groom the beard by first cutting any stray hairs or fly-aways, so there’s an even surface. Then, shape the beard by creating a nice, clean line underneath with an electric razor.
- Step 4: Tend to any redness, bumps or in-growns with Anthony Logistics In-Grown Hair Treatment. The salicylic acid in this product draws out the hair and reduces irritation.
- Step 5: Apply Anthony Logistics Advanced Formula Lip Balm SPF 25 in Mint and White Tea.
- Step 6: Apply Anthony Logistics Instant Fix Oil Control to the t-zone or any shiny areas to absorb excess oil.
- Step 7: Blow hair dry. Apply Biolage Styling Pliable Paste to finger tips and run through hair, pushing it back and away from the face, with a slight side part.
Anthony Brands, used to create Jon Hamm’s 2013 Emmys look, is available at Sephora located on Long Island in Garden City and Manhasset and also online at Anthony.com.
©Deirdre Haggerty, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior written permission and consent from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC, DBA Examiner.com.
The author receives no compensation from any PR Firm for the above recommendation and is not responsible for any effects, positive or negative, that may occur. Follow Deirdre on Twitter or like her Facebook fan page, Ask the Pro, for more professional beauty advice.