"is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss."
This year, NEA has partnered with Renaissance Dental "to show the direct link between good oral health habits and literacy since American students miss more than 51 million hours of school each year due to oral health problems." The Read Across America Day campaign integrates oral hygiene and literacy through the "2x2+20=good oral health and literacy habits" slogan. NEA and Renaissance Dental are asking parents to help their children brush twice a day for 2 minutes each and read together for 20 minutes daily.
The kick-off for the 16th annual campaign is on February 27, 2013 at the New York Public Library with the hundreds of children, Cat in the Hat, Thing One and Thing Two, as well as actors Uma Thurman and Jake T. Austin. This year, three different Cat-a-Vans will visit elementary schools in the following locations:
- Tour One- Phoenix, AZ — Boise, ID — Las Vegas, NV— Albuquerque, NM — Little Rock, AR
- Tour Two- Nashville, TN — Louisville, KY — Indianapolis, IN — East Cleveland, OH — Warren, MI
- Tour Three- Charleston, WV — Charlotte, NC — Atlanta, GA — Orlando, FL — Miami, FL
So far, twelve business, individuals, libraries, and schools in New Mexico have pledged to participate in Read Across America this year. If you want to celebrate with other Read Across America participants in the Albuquerque-area, here are some local events happening this week:
- February 27, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. at the Lomo Colorado Main Library in Rio Rancho. Teen Advisory Group presentation of The Sneetches. Birthday cupcakes will be served after the performance.
- March 1, 2013 from 4-8 p.m. at Alamosa Books in Albuquerque. Crafts and storytimes.
- March 4, 2013 at 4 p.m. at the Taylor Ranch Library in Albuquerque. Come make Cat in the Hat hats in celebration of Dr. Seuss.
Do you want to plan your own event? The NEA provides many resources for your use. Do you want reading and oral health information? The NEA also provides information about literacy and oral hygiene. Whether you attend an event or plan one of your own, make sure to celebrate Read Across America Day by reading with the children in your life.
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the "subscribe" button above. Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing this article with others.