Celebrating Martin Luther King’s life and legacy, Philadelphia is calling all volunteers for a day of service. Martin Luther King devoted much of his adult life to serve others. King volunteered on his own accord, recognizing that his people needed hope and deserved respect. He brought attention to them and showed that Blacks were human too. That is what the call to service does; it brings a humane face to suffering and injustice.
Where to go—Girard College
Girard College is symbolic of the King legacy, it is Philadelphia's own experience with the great leader himself. He came here to force Girard College to live up to its promise--of providing an education for poor children. If you are in the market for a job, make sure to head over to the 2nd Annual Jobs and Opportunity Fair at Girard College. People are there to help with resume writing, tax assistance, credit repair, assistance in finding public benefits, money management, a special emphasis is given to veterans in acquiring veteran resources. The Philadelphia Commerce Department is hosting a workshop for those who are considering starting a business. Also on hand a children’s carnival.
Where to go—One Warm Coat
One Warm Coat is asking for a one-time donation of a winter coat in exchange for a 10% discount off your purchase. The coat does not have to be new but in reasonable shape. Coats are being taken at all Burlington Coat Factory Stores. Area locations include:
- 2385 W Cheltenham Ave, Phila-19095
- 700 E Hunting Park Ave-19124
- 323 Old York Road, Jenkintown, PA-19046
- 1001 Market Street, Philadelphia-19107
- 9167 Roosevelt Blvd, Phila-19114
- 424 West Oregon Avenue, Philadelphia-19148
- 2232 Rte 70 West, Garden State Pavillion Shopping Center, Cherry Hill, NJ-08002
- 1563 Franklin Mills Cir, Philadelphia-19154
- Clifton Heights, PA
- U.S. 130 NJ--400 South State Road
- Marple Crossroads Shopping Center, Springfield, PA 19064
- 229 Rte Marlton, NJ 08053
- 5901 Rte 42, Turnersville NJ 08012
Where to go—City Year
City Year, the organization that employs young adults to serve as mentors at specific public schools in Philadelphia is hosting its version of the MLK Service Day. They will be painting and beautifying classrooms.