Marches, commemorations, conferences, and speeches are planned for the full week leading up to the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, one of the largest political rallies for human rights in U.S. history. The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic "I Have a Dream" speech during the march. It was instrumental in passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
On Saturday, August 24 the National Action to Realize the Dream march from the Lincoln Memorial to the King Memorial will emphasize that the struggle to realize Dr. King's dream is far from over. Equality for all Americans has in fact waned in recent years, with attacks on the Voting Rights Act, "stand your ground" laws and racial profiling, gun violence, discrimination against immigrants and LGBT people, poverty wages, and attacks on reproductive rights.
Columbus, OH – Stand Up 4 Justice, an alliance of community groups that formed the day after George Zimmerman's acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, is organizing a bus trip to the August 24 action.
Here are the details:
$75 round trip. There is no overnight stay. The bus departs Friday evening and returns Saturday evening.
- Departure to DC: 8 p.m. on Friday, August 23, from the Target parking lot at Easton
- Departure back to Columbus: Saturday, August 24 (evening; exact time to be finalized)
- By credit card at the website http://www.rollinwiththejones.com/Products.html (scroll down to find "50th Anniversary March On Washington - Be A Part of History")
- By PayPal, send to email@example.com with note marked “DC bus”
- Send a check made out to Pranav Jani to:
Dr. Pranav Jani
Ohio State Department of English
164 W. 17th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Call (614) 364-3677 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Once you pay, please send your name and contact info (phone number and email) to email@example.com.