This should be a great weekend for skiing or snowboarding. The temperatures have warmed up a little and there is plenty of snow on the ground throughout the area. This means that there is natural snow on the trails. In addition, with the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, we may even be inspired to get out and enjoy the slopes. With the will still be cold, but not quite as miserable as this past week. This along with snow throughout the week and into the weekend will make it a great weekend for skiing or snowboarding. In addition the weather conditions should allow the resorts to produce more snow to help maintain the trails as needed. So take advantage of the weather and get out to the slopes or even just go snow tubing.
The forecast for the Johnstown area and the Laurel Highlands for the weekend is looking great for snow sports of all kinds. Snow showers are in the forecast from Saturday afternoon on. Saturday should start off with mostly cloudy skies with snow showers coming in after noon. There is an increased chance on light snow overnight Saturday with a 50% chance of snow showers Sunday and Sunday night. High temperatures are expected to be in the mid-twenties on Saturday and Sunday. Overnight lows are expected to be in the mid-teens both Saturday and Sunday nights. Wind is expected to be light throughout the day Saturday but increasing Sunday afternoon.
Here are the individual resort reports as of today:
- Base: 34 inches with groomed powder conditions.
- Trails: 27 of 34 trails are open.
- Lifts: All lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: Snow tubing is open this weekend. There is no information on the status of the Nordic Ski Center.
- Events: Penn State Races on Saturday
- Base: between 38 and 46 inches with groomed packed powder conditions.
- Trails: 31 of 31 trails are open.
- Terrain parks: 3 parks are open with 23 features.
- Lifts: 6 lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: The snow tubing park is open this weekend with 6 lanes.
- No recent update on trail conditions.
- Base: between 40 and 60 inches with groomed packed powder conditions.
- Trails: 7 of 7 trails are open.
- Terrain parks: 1 park is open with 6 features.
- Lifts: 3 lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: The snow tubing park is open this weekend. The Nordic Ski Center could be open for snow shoeing and cross country skiing. Snowshoeing and dog sled rides are also available by reservation when conditions permit.
- Events: Winterfest on Saturday and Sunday.
- Base: between 36 and 48 inches with mostly groomed packed powder conditions.
- Trails: 32 of 41 trails are open .
- Terrain parks: 4 parks are open with 57 features.
- Lifts: 11 lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: The snow tubing park is open with 11 lanes of fun. Snow Shoeing Tours, Snow Mobile Tours and Groomer Rides are also available this weekend with reservations. Call to check on the status of Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides.
- Events: USSA GS Races on Avalanche on Saturday, Tele-Palooza Saturday and Sunday.
- Base: between 45 and 50 inches with most trails being groomed packed powder.
- Trails: 24 of 24 trails are open.
- Terrain parks: 3 parks are open with 37 features including the half-pipe.
- Lifts: 8 lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: The snow tubing park is open with 10 lanes and the kiddie slope.
- Events: Slopestyle Competition on Sunday
- Base: between 26 and 56 inches with most trails having groomed powder conditions.
- Trails: 31 of 32 trails are open.
- Terrain parks: 2 park is open with 15 features.
- Lifts: 10 lifts are currently operating.
- Notes: The snow tubing park (14 lanes) and the ice skating rink are open. The Nordic Ski Center is also open this weekend.
- Events: Subaru Winterfest on Saturday and Sunday, USSA GS Race on Sunday.
PACCSA Cross-Country Skiing Conditions:
- Laurel Ridge State Park Cross-Country Concession: 10 to 12 inch hard base with some groomed trails. Events: PACCSA Ski Lessons on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- Laurel Mountain State Park: 10 inch hard base with many trails being groomed on Thursday.
- Kooser State Park: 8 inch hard base.
So take advantage of great snow sports weather in the Johnstown area and relax a little on the slopes, but if you like the cold it should return after the weekend. Remember that if you stay at the resorts, there are plenty of other activities available too.