Its Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend and the ski resorts are excited about the return of cold and snowy weather. Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month is in full swing and there are plenty of events taking place at the local resort. This is a great time to get out and enjoy the slopes.
The forecast for the Johnstown area for this weekend should be great for hitting the resorts for some skiing or boarding. Temperatures are expected to closer to normal this weekend and snow is in the forecast by the middle of the weekend. High temperatures today should be in the mid-fifties with high temperatures in the mid-forties on Saturday, in the mid-twenties on Sunday and the lower twenties on Monday. Overnight lows are expected to be in the low to mid-twenties for tonight and Saturday and in the mid-teens on Sunday night with overnight lows on Monday reaching the single digits. This should allow for some great snow making at the resorts. Early morning snow showers should give way to clearing skies today with sunny skies prevailing on Saturday. Clouds and snow showers should move in overnight on Saturday and last throughout the rest of the weekend. Snow could be heavy at times on Saturday night and Sunday. There is a 60% chance of snow Saturday night through Sunday, then decreasing to 40% Sunday night and Monday. Winds should be up a little throughout the period which will bring lower wind chill temperatures even during the day.
Blue Knob is open and ready for another great weekend. They are currently reporting partly sunny skies at the resort. There has been no significant snowfall over the last 24 hours. They have 13 trails open with another three scheduled to be open by 2:00 p.m. today. There are no terrain parks open at the time, but Stembogan Bowl should be open this afternoon. They continue to make snow at the resort including The Playground Terrain Park. They are reporting a base of 38 inches with groomed packed powder conditions. The snow tubing park will be opening for the weekend beginning at 5:00 p.m. on Friday. The Nordic Ski Center is listed also expected to be open this weekend. Blue Knob is located about 45 minutes east of Johnstown.
Hidden Valley has a very busy weekend planned with the Master the Mountain event making its first visit to the resort this weekend. They are currently reporting sunny conditions at the resort. Snowmaking operations have been resumed on the trails. They currently have 20 runs open for skiing and no terrain parks. They are expecting to open two more trails tomorrow morning and Progression Park this afternoon. They are reporting a base of 10 to 30 inches. Currently they are reporting groomed conditions on the slopes. The Outback Snow Tubing Park will be opening at 6:00 p.m. Hidden Valley is located about 50 minutes southwest of Johnstown.
Mystic Mountain at Nemacolin Woodlands is currently open and ready to kick off the weekend with Neighbors and Friends night beginning at 4:00 p.m. They were reporting a base of 8 to 16 inches with 2 inches of new machine made snow. They are reporting all six trails open with groomed granular conditions. They are also reporting the tubing park open.
Seven Springs is for some great skiing and boarding this weekend. They are reporting sunny skies this afternoon. Snow making operations have resumed at this time and they do continue to groom some of the trails and terrain parks. They will have 24 trails open for skiing and 4 terrain parks with 57 features. They are reporting a base of 6 to 20 inches with groomed granular conditions on the trails with 3 inches of new machine made snow. Some of the trails may have some thin spots, so use caution and pay attention to any limitations and restrictions. The snow tubing park is open with 10 lanes in operation. They will be offering snow groomer rides this weekend but snow mobile and snow shoe tours have been suspended do to snow conditions. Seven Springs is located about 55 minutes southwest of Johnstown.
Tussey Mountain continues to operate with limited trails. They are currently reporting sunny conditions at the resort. They have 3 of the 7 trails open at the resort. The snow tubing park is open. Tussey Mountain is located about an hour and 40 minutes northeast of Johnstown.
Whitetail near Mercersburg is open and ready for a great holiday weekend. They are reporting sunny skies at this time. They have 16 trails open as well as the Jib junction Terrain Park with 7 features. They have a base of 10 to 16 inches with packed powder conditions with 4 to 6 inches of fresh machine made snow. They also have the snow tubing park open with 8 lanes in operation for the weekend. Whitetail is located just a little over two hours southeast of Johnstown.
Wisp Resort in McHenry Maryland is ready for the first Master the Mountain Weekend in the area this weekend. They are currently reporting sunny conditions this morning. They have 24 trails and three terrain parks with 16 features open. They are reporting a base of 12 inches with groomed granular conditions. The snow tubing park is also open with 9 lanes in operation. The Mountain Coaster and Ice Skating Rink are also open this weekend. However, the Nordic Ski Center is closed currently. Wisp is located about an hour and forty-five minutes south of Johnstown.
So get out and enjoy the slopes this weekend. Get some recreation time to reduce that stress and have some fun. Bundle up and stay warm.