Just hours after all 19 USA Senior National Basketball Team players said that they remained committed to play in the 2014 World Cup, following Paul George’s gruesome injury, three players were cut from the squad according to Yahoo!Sports on Aug. 4. Washington Wizards teammates John Wall and Bradley Beal along with Atlanta Hawks’ Paul Millsap were the players caught up in the number games as the U.S. must reduce their roster to 12 players by Aug. 30.
Coach Mike Krzyzewski and USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo planned to make their first round of cuts on Aug.2. However, George’s injury through a wrench into those plans. The U.S. will resume workouts in Chicago from Aug. 13-17 and then move onto the Canary Islands.
Wall, who received an invitation to Las Vegas after Russell Westbrook withdrew from the squad, was considered a long shot. Colangelo had previously said that the U.S. would likely keep only two of their three pure point guards – Wall, Derrick Rose and Kyrie Irving.
It didn’t help that Wall struggled during the Showcase on Aug. 1. He went scoreless and committed four turnovers.
Beal, 21, put on a good performance during the Showcase but was cemented below Klay Thompson, James Harden on the guard depth chart. He recorded 11 points on 3-of-6 shooting from the field and was perfect from line (5-of-5).
Millsap was also a late addition to the team. He was invited to training camp when Kevin Love and Blake Griffin backed out.
Rose, Thompson, Harden and Irving remain on the roster along with guards DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Korver and Damian Lillard; forwards Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Kenneth Faried; and centers DeMarcus Cousins, Mason Plumlee and Andre Drummond.