John Elway is known for his comeback ability, not necessarily his culinary expertise.
The former quarterback, two-time Super Bowl Champion, and current Vice President of Football Operations for the Broncos appears to have a sweet tooth to go only with his hunger to win on the football field.
People Magazine compiled a list of Super Bowl recipes in it's most current issue which included one treat from Chef Tyler Wiard from Elway’s Cherry Creek restaurant. It bore the Hall of Fame quarterback’s nomenclature and now can be made right at home.
Here are the instructions:
John Elways’ Chocolate Brownies
(Makes 12 brownies)
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· ¼ tsp. baking powder
· ½ cup butter, cubed
· ½ cup cocoa
· ¼ tsp. coffee extract
· 2 eggs
· ¼ tsp. salt
· ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
· ½ cup sugar
· ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
· Vanilla ice cream (optional)
· Chocolate or caramel sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
2. Combine butter, cocoa and coffee extract in heat-proof bowl over simmering water, stirring until melted; set aside to cool.
3. Beat eggs, salt, vanilla and sugars on low speed with electric mixer until thickened; gradually add cocoa mixture. Gently fold flour mixture into batter. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is beginning to puff and center is just set. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Cut brownies into 12 squares. When ready to serve, rewarm brownies in oven at 350º for 1 minute, or microwave on high 10 to 15 seconds. Top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate and caramel sauces if desired. Serve immediately.