Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
Many in this world seek peace. The world is a fearful place for some but God has promised His people:
They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the LORD Psalm 112:7
and Jesus Himself said, In the last days
Men's hearts (will be) failing them for fear, and for looking toward those things which are coming on the earth Luke 21:26
For centuries Christians have trusted that the Lord left His people with peace
And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
The verse declares that God does not give as the world gives.
How does the world give?
1) It gives carnal things
2) It gives what it does not truly own
3) It gives with strings attached.
4) It gives to take away again
5) It gives imperishable things that cannot last.
6) The world gives for a price
But God is different.
8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9
1) 10Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness; 11you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. 2 Corinthians 9:10-11
2) So then let no one boast in men. For all things belong to you, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or things present or things to come; all things belong to you, 23and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God. 1 Corinthians 3:21-23
3) if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him. James 1:5
4)For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:29
5)Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:23
6) Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Isaiah 55:1
It is good to meditate on the spiritual fact that those in the Judeo-Christian tradition have a God who does not give as the world gives.