1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Performing Arts

Joffrey Ballet, Led by Ashley Wheater, To Make Their Miami Debut

Ballet dancers are fluid and perform without boundaries. They’re free in motion.
When an audience can feel the dancer’s intensity, poise and fragility, the dancer has become an accomplished dancer.

More Photos

On March 26 and 27, 2010, watch the Joffrey Ballet do as such at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. Part of the program is Age of Innocence, specifically choreographed for the Joffrey Ballet by Chinese American Choreographer, Edward Liang.

The Miami audience should expect a technically challenged program. Confidently, Artistic Director Ashley Wheater notes, “It shows the brilliance of the program and the ease the company dances. It doesn’t matter where they dance…in Chicago, Iowa, Miami, New York or London. They are so committed and connect with the audience.”

With a stellar resume, the young and accomplished 48-year old Wheater, takes pride in his company of 42 dancers. In 2007, this former ballet master of San Francisco Ballet and former member of both The Royal Ballet and Joffrey Ballet, became Artistic Director for Joffrey Ballet. In a unanimous decision by the Joffrey Ballet’s board of directors, Wheater took the reins to continue the traditions of Robert Joffrey. With humility in his voice, “I feel incredibly fortunate. This comes along once in your life. It’s a huge compliment to be asked to apply for the job and given the job. I felt really supported coming in.”

Wheater’s approach is to keep Joffrey Ballet consistent through time. His inspiration to keep Joffrey on point is to give all his dancers equal opportunities. “There is no ranking. There is equal opportunity for every single person to have the opportunity to do a lead role. A choreographer has free reign on who they would like to use.”

As a teacher and choreographer, it’s important for Wheater to give as much time as he can to the dancers. He spends three times a week, 5-6 hours a day teaching. He continues to follow the lines of master instructor, Robert Joffrey, and uses teaching to shape and mold the company. There is still a great love for teaching for Wheater. He learned from The Royal Ballet to take the best of the Russian, French and English schools. “I prefer to look at everything and ask what do we need? We dance any amount of eclectic, diverse repertoire. For me, it’s the foundation in teaching that we use vocabulary of language that is classical ballet.”

With his continued commitment for dance, Wheater’s inspiration is to have the audience understand how the dancer can fully develop into an artist. From dancer to Artistic Director, Wheater is living the dream. He is extraordinarily thankful what has been given to him. It’s inspiring to see Ashley Wheater thoroughly enjoy his work and show an armful of gratitude.

Wheater adoringly reminisces what he told his mother during his first year at the Royal Ballet School, “One day I want to have my own company.” He continues, “Everyday I love coming to work, I love what we’re trying to create. To bring dance to a full realization; that it’s anchored, in it’s musical poise, it’s technical proficiency, uniquely individual even when they have to be together.”

Tickets: $25-$120
For tickets, visit http://www.arshtcenter.org or call the Box Office at (305) 949-6722.

For additional information on this article, please contact http://info@littlegiantproductions.com

Comments

• Brenda Avila 4 years ago

Being from Chicago, I appreciate that you took the time to write about the Joffrey ballet. I was always curious to see them as a child but never was able to do so. Maybe May is going to be good. Thanks Maritza for keeping up with the times.

• Ana 4 years ago

Beautifully written article. I would love to meet the dancers! 42 incredible dancers in the cast that's an impressive number of performers to have in a company these days; I loved the fact that director Wheater gives his dancers equal opportunities to dance a leading role. Welcome to Miami!

• Courtney J. 4 4 years ago

wow..thats great..just from a two picture slideshow i can tell he's a great dancer

• Dania O 4 years ago

i can tell he does full out, i really hope wheater can achieve other goals in dance. good luck!

• Serena 4 4 years ago

Its so great that all these dancers have an equal oppertunity. And it true taht dancers have such a strong effect on the audience. I remember my sister and I would come back from the ballet, and we would be dancing all over the house! And thats what inspires people and dancers today is these incredible dancers because they capture you and then all you want to do is dance. And also its amazing how Wheater spent so much time and so much determination on these dancers, all ranks, all equaly trying for the lead role. Its so amazing and I hope that people like him become more and more known because of how much they really matter.

• Daniela G. 4 4 years ago

I think the article was really well written, and the whole idea of it was great. I really like how you were talking about a company and at the same time talking about something that is happening right now. You are keeping people informed, which is always a good thing to do. Especially when it refers to the performing arts. Since people sometimes forget that we need it in our lifes at certain points. And I bow down to the dancers, because to be able to do all of that takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Especially with all the traveling and with the amount of dancers. Being able to work with so many people and all be on the same page, is incredible.

• Gabriella C. 4 years ago

This article was extremely well written! I absolutly agree with your first paragraph! Please keep writing you articles, it makes me learn and hear about what's going on in the "Dance World".

• ciara 4 years ago

this article talks about how confident dancers are about their performances and how they put 150% in ti their performances and they are very dedicated .its shows me not to be afriad of anything.

• Jennifer 5 4 years ago

Wonderful article and very well written. The dences from the Joffrey Ballet sound like amzing, hardworking dancers. For Wheater to come such along way from just beigna dancer in the company to leading it and spending three times a week, 5-6 hours a day teaching is such a comitment.

• Ivis p6 4 years ago

you write very well written papers and your very good in the way you use your words.This article was very detailed.Those dancers really are amazing for what they do.By just reading the article and by seeing the pictures.I could tell that takes really hard work and commitment.So thank for writing this paper so it keeps use informed about dance.