Former Bellator Featherweight Champion Joe Warren, who was supposed to fight Nick Kirk in the Bellator 98 co-main slot, has been deemed ineligible to compete by the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, but no official mention of the cause was noted.
After reviewing the medical documentation submitted by Warren, the now Bellator Bantamweight Semifinalist will have his fight delayed until further notice.
"I've been fortunate to work with one of the best commissioners in the sport in Mike Mazzulli, and after carefully reviewing Joe's medical documents, everyone agreed to err on the side of caution with the goal of ensuring our fighters safety," said Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney in a statement provided to the media.
"It was determined Joe would be unable to compete this Saturday at Mohegan Sun. Joe's been with us since the beginning and as is the case with every fighter here, it's incumbent on me to ensure Joe is 100% healthy and medically cleared to fight before he steps into the Bellator cage."
With the Bellator Bantamweight Tournament semifinal fight now delayed, Bellator lightweights Patricky Pitbull and Derek Anderson will now be featured on the live broadcast of Bellator MMA from Mohegan Sun live on Spike Saturday, Sept. 7.
The broadcast will begin at 6 p.m. on Spike.com, and the television broadcast will begin at 8 p.m. live on Spike.
Here's a look at the updated Bellator 98 card:
- Bellator Middleweight World Title Fight: Alexander “Storm” Shlemenko (47-7) vs. Brett Cooper (19-8)
- Bellator Middleweight Tournament Opening Round: Justin Torrey (9-0) vs. Andreas Spang (8-3)
- Bellator Middleweight Tournament Opening Round: Jeremy Kimball (10-3) vs. Perry Filkins (7-1)
- Bellator Middleweight Tournament Opening Round: Brian Rogers (10-5) vs. Mikkel Parlo (9-1)
- Bellator Middleweight Tournament Opening Round: Jason Butcher (6-0) vs. Giva Santana (18-2)
- Bellator Lightweight Feature Fight: Derek Anderson (9-0) vs. Patricky Pitbull (10-4)
- Light Heavyweight Feature Fight: Jeff Nader (5-5) vs. Mike Mucitelli (5-0)
- Middleweight Feature Fight: Dave Vitkay (12-12) vs. Brennan Ward (5-1)
- Lightweight Feature Fight: Andrew Calandrelli (6-3) vs. Ryan Quinn (7-4-1)
- Featherweight Feature Fight: Nick Piedmont (8-3-1) vs. Matt Bessette (11-4)
- Bantamweight Feature Fight: Glenn Allair (3-1) vs. Rico Disciullo (Debut)
- Heavyweight Feature Fight: Josh Diekman (12-5) vs. Parker Porter (5-3)