In the world of low carb weight loss, Jimmy Moore has become both a role model and an inspiration. We interviewed him to get his insights on how he used a high fat low carb ketogenic diet to lose 180 pounds - and keep them off. His books include "21 Life Lessons From Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: How The Healthy Low-Carb Lifestyle Changed Everything I Thought I Knew," and "Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?"
The cholesterol book is co-authored with Dr. Eric Westman. To help others achieve their own low-carb success, Jimmy has co-authored a second book with him entitled "Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet." His co-author Dr. Westman also contributed to "New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great."
In "Keto Clarity," the duo explain how to find "your own personal carbohydrate tolerance level, your individual protein threshold, and then unlimited monounsaturated and saturated fats to satiety as the key to making this work for you well. There is no one set of fixed percentages or ratios that will work for everyone. You have to tinker and tweak it for you to make it right."
Jimmy has done his own tinkering with his diet and found that an 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbohydrate diet provides him with "the results I desire in not just my weight control, but also in the health benefits of being in a state of ketosis, including hunger control, mood stability, improved memory, robust energy and so much more."
And if Jimmy has one message for those struggling to lose weight, it's this: "
Be kind to yourself. I am so saddened by all the self-hate I see floating around out there on the Internet from people who think they have done something wrong because a machine fails to validate the choices they have made. Become your own validator, say POSITIVE things about yourself, bring people into your life who will uplifting you, not bring you down. There’s enough ugliness in this world already and being hard on yourself just adds one more layer of “stuff” that you gotta overcome if you’re ever going to be successful at getting your weight and health back in line again.
For those who want additional reading recommendations, Jimmy recommends:
- Calories – "The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better" by Jonathan Bailor
- Dangers of Whole Grains – "Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers" by Dr. David Perlmutter and "Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health" by Dr. William Davis
- Saturated Fat – "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health" by Gary Taubes and "The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet" by Nina Teicholz
- Elimination Diets – "It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig
- Paleo – "Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle" by Diane Sanfilippo and The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Sugar – "The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally" by Diane Sanfilippo and "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease" by Dr. Robert Lustig
- Living Low-Carb – "The Art And Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek (Note: You can read my in-depth interview with Dr. Phinney on low carb high fat ketogenic diets by clicking here)