Sometimes, life just calls for a gin martini. Some say gin's for crazy people — well, they're missing out. Here's how Jim Meehan, mixologist at PDT does it. Getting into PDT (a hyper trendy speakeasy-style lounge) is a bit of a complicated affair: There's a phone booth tucked into the corner of the left hand side of a hot dog shop where you have to ring the host, whereupon a "secret" entrance is revealed. It's fun at first, but an ordeal on any subsequent visits, and it's not much of a secret really because it's usually given away by a huge line snaking out the front. Let's just say that being on the list is the ticket in (all it takes is a simple email). Otherwise, stay home and make one of Meehan's cocktails yourself. It's a perfectly rational decision.
- 2 ¼ fl oz Fords gin
- ¾ fl oz Dolin dry vermouth
- 1 lemon twist, for garnish
- Olives, for garnish
1. Chill a mixing glass and a martini glass in the refrigerator.
2. Combine the gin and vermouth in the mixing glass. Fill with ice and stir vigorously.
3. Strain into the martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist and olives, to taste. Serve immediately.
From PANNA, Issue 8. Copyright (c) 2013 by How 2 Media, LLC.