The movie 'Dumb and Dumber' just never gets old to it's biggest fans. Lovers of the quotable timeless comedy have been anxiously awaiting news on the 'Dumb and Dumber To' project. The sequel plans had been up in the air after Warner Bros. bowed out earlier this year. However, Universal Studios then acquired the rights, and everything has been back on track since. On Sunday, September 8, Jim Carrey even took to Twitter to post a photo of Lloyd's signature chipped tooth smile assuring fans that he's back in character.
Yes, both Carrey and Jeff Daniels are returning to their comical roles, and brothers Peter and Bob Farrelly are once again directing.
When the sequel initially fell through, countless people everywhere expressed their disappointment via the internet. In June, Jeff Daniels had told the Associated Press that Carrey had been against all sequels, not wanting to repeat himself. However, Daniels went on to say that Carrey was the one who phoned the directors to get this project underway.
"He turned 50, and that'll mellow you out, and suddenly he's going, 'Let's have some fun.' … And we're going, 'Great!'" Daniels said. "And the Farrellys said, 'This isn't a money grab — let's really write a great second movie that takes the original and then blows it up even further.' And I think they did that."
When movie #1 was such a big hit, sequels always have a great deal of pressure to live up to. However, it sounds as though the Farrellys know exactly what they're doing. After all, they created a staple in the comedy category before, so it's reasonable to believe that they can meet and exceed expectations with this one.
Do you suppose Mary 'Sampsonite' will make a return? What will their 'respectable' job titles be this time around? There's only one way to know: Head to theaters when 'Dumb and Dumber To' hits the big screens!